Menu

Science help...

So this year we are using Apologia Physical for gr.9.  DD is doing ok with it, but we don't love it.  I don't feel like it's very good at explaining the why's and feel like a lot is left up to the student to sort out on their own.  We'll probably finish it for this year, but I'm looking for other options for 10-12.  She isn't likely to go into a science-heavy field, so our aim is to give her a good base and hopefully not destroy her enjoyment of science in the process.  I think I'd prefer a secular science, but would consider either.  I've been looking at Mr. Q's advanced courses and it seems like something that might really appeal to DD (despite the font that drives me batty!!).  Is it *enough* for high school science though?  She's dyslexic, so texts that are really wordy and huge can be intimidating. I'd like something that will walk her through the why's of experiments in a clear and easy to grasp manner.  I don't mind supplementing the lab report process if needed and having something that gives a "cliff's notes version" to the parent for discussion would be a bonus.  Any suggestions appreciated.  

Bumping for you.  Science has been a bear for us every year, so I doubt I'll be much help.  My dd is not dyslexic but she is "right-brained" and a heavily visual-spatial learner.  We used Hoagland's Biology for Science with lab suggestions from the quirks and quarks website.  We used Singapore Chemistry Matters for awhile and then Holt Chemistry and bought a Thames and Kosmos Chem kit.  For Physics, we are currently using a myriad of resources, including Tiner's Exploring the World of Physics, DK Science Explorer, Usborne Science Encyclopedia, Basher Physics, and Power Basics Physics.  For labs, I bought an Optical Science kit and snap circuits.

We also did a semester of Paleiontology and a semester of Astronomy, for which I just pulled together very visual books.  Oh, and we did a semester of Apologia's Anatomy and Physiology.

Best of luck!

• Like 1

I'm not sure if the search would help you, but a number of people have used Mr. Q's Advanced Chemistry in the past. I haven't used it but yes, it is supposed to be solid for high school chemistry. There is a short description of it in the high school chemistry thread pinned to the top of the board. I asked for reviews of it a few months ago, and many of the replies said it moved pretty quickly. https://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/674263-mr-q-chemistry-reviews/?tab=comments#comment-8110698

I also don't use Apologia past biology (and if I could find a bio I liked better I might drop that, too) so I've been using courses from Master Books and Pacworks, and I plan on using Conceptual Physics. None of my high schoolers so far are going to have science careers.

• Like 1

Apologia was not a fit here -- dry and wordy text, and the oversized text is layed-out so that the lines of text run too long, so that the eye keeps wanting to jump down to the start of the next line before finishing the current line of text, making it hard to focus on the actual text when you're fighting the lay-out. We switched to Conceptual Chemistry (Suchocki) and Conceptual Physics (Hewitt) -- both are secular texts. DS#2 here had stealth dyslexia, very visual-spatial learner (right brain), and I ended up needing to do most of the high school science as read-aloud. So that might be something to look for -- a text that has an audiobook option, or that has video lessons/instruction and just a small amount of text.

Friendly Chemistry has a reputation for being very gentle. It has a Kindle version and is now coming out with video lessons as well. Here is the table of contents and samples. And here is the Cathy Duffy review. It looks like the publishers are also coming out with a Friendly Biology that also has video lessons. See table of contents and samples.

Switched On Schoolhouse (computer-CD-based) or Monarch (online version) from Alpha-Omega (Christian) might be an option. Not rigorous, but covers all the traditional topics, with text and video lessons. They offer Physical Science, Biology, Chemistry, and Physics for high school.

Study.com might actually be an option, with text and video lessons, plus "tutoring", "studying", and "homework help resource" videos for each science topic. Physical ScienceEarth Science, AstronomyBiology, Chemistry, Physics. There is a 15-day free trial period once you sign up -- perhaps give the Physical Science a try and see if that's a fit, and switch over if it is? Since it's still early in the fall semester, you have time to switch to something else -- don't force yourselves to finish Apologia Physical Science if it's making science un-enjoyable. (JMO!)

BEST of luck in finding what is the best fit for your family. Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1