Menu

Border patrol agent and restitution

klmama

Did you all see the news about the off-duty border patrol agent whose gender reveal party turned bad when he accidentally started an enormous fire?  He has to pay restitution. In theory, that's reasonable, but in reality, how is he going to pay back over 8 million dollars?  Even if the govt took every dime he earned for the rest of his life, he wouldn't earn that much.  

Just read an article about it.  It said that it has been agreed that the initial payment would be $100,000 and then monthly payments.  I'm guessing that the monthly payments are low enough that the family can handle them even though it will probably never be paid off.  I wonder if these types of judgements are ever "forgiven" after a certain amount of time had passed?

What an awful thing to have happened at a happy event!  I do like that he immediately admitted guilt.  No hiding or trying to shift blame.  That is integrity and honor. 

• Like 3

I wonder why the NYT article didn't mention the restitution was $220,000 rather than the whole amount?  It seems like that's an important distinction.  I just went back and the only amount mentioned in the article was the $8 million figure.  

• Like 1