Menu

Create Space vs Kindle vs LuLu to Self Publish a Book

Nicholas_mom

Any self-publish authors here?  Did you use Create Space and are you moving over to Kindle or trying other self-publishing places like LuLu???

My son self published a book a couple of years ago with CreateSpace.  Now they are dissolved into Amazon Kindle??  Ds wrote another novel and wants to publish again.  I am at a lost.  I have been reading that the Amazon/Kindle has poor print quality books.  I am thinking of trying LuLu.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Yes, Createspace is folding into KDP. The quality on CS seems fine to me compared to other options I've seen I mean, it looks like a book, the print is readable and clean for basic stuff. I've read that Lulu is much better for strangely sized projects, projects with heavy graphics, etc. I think if you want to reach an audience, CS and KDP are the way to go for most people. As yet, CS has been better for print, KDP for ebook - for obvious reasons. I've never done a print book on KDP as yet, but I think it's really about getting the formatting right. For a project like a teen self-publishing a book for fun... maybe you don't care that much, ya know? You can just use their templates and let it be. However, if you do care, don't trust their system to get the formatting half decent... do it yourself after some research or hire someone to do it.

• Like 1

DD uses Lulu because that's what she found first. She formats her print books herself (although she uses their cover designer). They've had some printing delays this fall and the quality isn't awesome (spine / cover lineup is sometimes just a bit off), but it is good enough for her.

You can get on Amazon & B&N through Lulu. (Link in my sig to her first book if you want to see cover or look inside.) 

• Like 1