Menu

Math, BJU, Singapore, Beast Academy

Janeway

I already own Singapore Math books so I tested my son's level and he tested in to level 2B so we started on it last spring. We stopped in June and were about half way through. We started back up a couple weeks ago and have found that it is as if he has forgotten so much, not just stuff covered in 2b. I mean stuff he was firm and good at, like regrouping with addition and subtraction. He can barely regroup now even though last spring, he was very good at it and did it very quickly and accurately.  I do not consider this a huge problem. And I do admit to having a bit of curriculum dazzle, where I would like to try something shiny and new. I have used Horizon's and BJU before. I did not love Horizons and the child who did BJU quickly went back to Singapore. I went to the store yesterday. I was toying with just getting the workbook for SM 2A (I used the US edition) and going back over SM 2a. This is still a possibility. The other thing I have been doing which I can keep doing and is no problem at all is, I have a spiral notebook and I have been handwriting out a page of review problems each day for some to do. So far, it has been just math facts, but I could add in borrowing and carrying. I do feel like he could use enough extra practice on the math that getting the entire SM 2A book and going over it before moving on to 3A would be good too. And I could continue to work through 2B concurrently. Meanwhile, I do happen to have some of the BA books. But honestly, looking over them, I am not sure if they are our thing. Son does not have much focus. He tries hard and has a good heart. But, he has a lot of trouble focusing. Doing the mental math in SM 2B has been a little harsh because his mind wanders so quickly. But we have pretty much completed all those sections now. 

While at the book store, I saw a used copy of BJU math 3. Since it was used, even though it was not written in, it was only $17. I bought it. They were out of stock of SM 2A. And for BA, the only levels I have are 2A and 3A so neither is really appropriate to where he is at. Although I could have him start with 2A to get him stronger and then if it goes well, order 2B. But 2A does not cover anything he is lacking, however, it might reinforce what he already knows to make him stronger.  Which sounds better?

1)  Continue to just work through Singapore Math and make review sheets like I have been. Maybe add in some ipad apps (if you suggest adding in ipad apps, please include in comments).

2) Continue working through SM but order the SM 2A workbook and work through that (I already own the textbook) too before moving on to 3A.

3) Finish the current SM 2B book while working through the BJU 3 workbook I bought used and then re-evaluate after that to which program works best for us.

4) Try adding in the BA 2A book (which I already own) to the SM 2B book.

5) other?

Also, I suspect BA, which it is a very neat program, might be too puzzle like to fit his needs. It might be that he thrives on puzzle like, but, right now, as far as I can tell, that would not be his thing. He is more of a black and white thinker, not outside of the box. 

I haven’t used BJU or BA 2A.

My boys did BA 3-5. BA2 wasn’t out yet. And I used SM Standards Edition 1-5. 

I would have my kid do Xtra Math (an app or online) everyday or every other day. It’s a math facts app. Not terribly exciting but it does a good job and takes 5-10 minutes.

Second, do you have the workbook for BA 2A or just the textbook? Looking at the topics BA covers in 2A, I would say it’s exactly what your child is struggling with. Don’t be afraid to sit with him and help him through more challenging parts and you could even skip some of what might not work with him. I sat with my boys through most of BA3 and let them loose in BA 4, with helps along the way. If you have the workbook, start it. 

One of the other things I used was the SM Intensive Practice. It gives extra practice and reinforcement. More than the SM Extra Practice. However, since you bought the BJU book, you could use it as an extra practice or reinforcement. Maybe like a constant review as you continue with SM. Although I think BJU is less spiral than Horizon/Saxon and similar programs. But, I’ve not used it before so I’m not sure. 

Bju 3...if it is the purple workbook with the boy and squirrel (that looks like a cat lol) is fantastic. It starts out with alot of review or regrouping, place value, borrowing and then covers everything a 3rd grader needs and then some. Time, fractions, geometry, long division, multi digit multiplication, decimals...it is so great because it has good story problems, it is manipulative based like Singapore but colorful and there is constant review. If you look at the end of the work pages you will see review from previous chapters along with those applied skills throughout in story problems. At the end of every unit is a review and then a cumulative review. I love it so much. My now 3rd grader finished that workbook last year and my 2nd grader will finish it at the end of December. I have them doing it while working another math program. One BJU page a day has worked well for us. My DD does Beast Academy currently with it and one of my sons does Rightstart with it. 

We love Singapore too and have used it in the past but BJU offers everything Singapore does and teaches in a similar fashion. My favorite part was when DD got to long division. I had told her it is often a tough spot for kids so not to worry if it is confusing. BJU taught it so flawlessly she was like "when does it get hard mommy?" ?

Edited by nixpix5

Has he tried Prodigy? You could make assignments for the things he needs to review and see if that is enough to jog his mind. Then for math time you could take some time trying out the BA book to see if it will fit. My boy is easily distracted too but he likes BA I think because the pages are visually different from one another. There are many pages that are not puzzly at all 

16 hours ago, specialkmom said:

I haven’t used BJU or BA 2A.

My boys did BA 3-5. BA2 wasn’t out yet. And I used SM Standards Edition 1-5. 

I would have my kid do Xtra Math (an app or online) everyday or every other day. It’s a math facts app. Not terribly exciting but it does a good job and takes 5-10 minutes.

Second, do you have the workbook for BA 2A or just the textbook? Looking at the topics BA covers in 2A, I would say it’s exactly what your child is struggling with. Don’t be afraid to sit with him and help him through more challenging parts and you could even skip some of what might not work with him. I sat with my boys through most of BA3 and let them loose in BA 4, with helps along the way. If you have the workbook, start it. 

One of the other things I used was the SM Intensive Practice. It gives extra practice and reinforcement. More than the SM Extra Practice. However, since you bought the BJU book, you could use it as an extra practice or reinforcement. Maybe like a constant review as you continue with SM. Although I think BJU is less spiral than Horizon/Saxon and similar programs. But, I’ve not used it before so I’m not sure. 

I wanted to see what BA was about but also needed to order a certain amount so I needed to raise what I was ordering by just a little bit to get free shipping. So, at the time, all BA had out was 3-5 and they had just released BA2. So I bought 3A which my son tested in to and also bought 2A figuring my daughter would get to it eventually. But I bought both text and workbooks for the levels I bought.