Menu

Chemistry for multiple grade levels?

AZJessica

Hi all!

Do you have any experience with a chemistry curriculum that can be used across multiple grade levels? I have 4 kids (2nd, 4th, 6th 8th) and would LOVE to be able to do Chemistry with all of them at the same time but have the older ones go deeper with their learning and experiements. I tend to like the classical approach but am not really limited by that. I tend to also lean more secular in my curriculum choices. I might also like to do half the chemistry and the other half physics - not sure if that's a good idea or not? Anyhow, I need to get science going for this year and would love any advice you can share.

Thanks!! ?

I'm in a similar situation.   My 2nd grader just isn't that interested so she's doing something else.  My other kids- 5th and 8th, are doing RSO Chemistry,  the 8th grader I'm adding Science Fusion workbooks. My 10th grader us doing Holt.  I think RSO is about right for 5th and 6th, but 7th or 8th need a little more added.

Edited by BusyMom5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BusyMom5 said:

I'm in a similar situation.   My 2nd grader just isn't that interested so she's doing something else.  My other kids- 5th and 8th, are doing RSO Chemistry,  the 8th grader I'm adding Science Fusion workbooks. My 10th grader us doing Holt.  I think RSO is about right for 5th and 6th, but 7th or 8th need a little more added.

Ok thanks! I'll check those out! Maybe I'll just give my 2nd grader something else to do for science like you 

34 minutes ago, parent said:

I'm trying Noeo Chem I this year.  They also have two more levels.  It is from a Christian publisher, but their science doesn't contain Christian content. I also bought their Physics I, but haven't looked at it yet.  http://logospressonline.com/noeo

Which level Noeo Chemistry are you using for which grade level student? And, what do you think of it so far? Thanks ?

1 hour ago, Amateur Actress said:

I was going to suggest Christian Kids Explore Chemistry, which is geared for 4th-8th grade.  It's by Bright Ideas Press. Not sure if you could work around the Christian parts or not.  

https://www.brightideaspress.com/shop/christian-kids-explore-chemistry/

Ok thanks! I'll check out samples and see what it's like ?

14 hours ago, SilverMoon said:

I used Guesthollow's free chem schedule with a grade spread, but not nearly that wide. If memory serves it'd best fit the middle two, the little one could maybe tag along absorbing whatever they absorb, but I wouldn't use this alone for an 8th grader. 

I had never heard of guesthollow so thanks for sharing. I checked out the outline and it's giving me ideas - thank you!! ?

I'm on week two of the Creek Edge Press Chemistry. It is very easy to flex up/down because it has the kids do their own research and discovery in books, encyclopedias, etc. It's a good match for notebooking. You do have to plan your own chemistry experiments, depending on you that may be a good thing or a bad thing (bad thing for me, lol, but I'm figuring it out). So far both the 2nd and 4th grader are happy with it and excited to be doing this more on their own. If you do for older kids probably just want to make sure they have more resources ? 

https://shop.creekedgepress.com/Chemistry-and-Great-Scientists-Task-Card-Set-PDF-CGpdf.htm

It has 20 task cards (roughly 20 weeks, maybe you could spread some of the cards to take 2 weeks) of chemistry, then 10 cards on scientists (usually 2 scientists per card). 

(edit: number of cards)

Edited by Moonhawk