Menu

Topical math for elementary

My 8 yo did just started at a Montessori school that meets a few days a week. She’ll homeschool two days a week. The school teaches the four math operations and leaves topics like time, money, measurement and word problems to the parents.

I am looking for topical books to cover these areas. Math Mammoth comes first to mind, but I really don’t like the layout of those books. Other suggestions?

Edited by Gobblygook

We use Miquon, which leaves out a few topics like money and is light on word problems, and I've found it easiest to pull what we need from the Evan-Moor Basic Skills workbooks. When I looked a couple years ago, I wasn't thrilled with any of the topical books I found, and noticed that many only covered the K-1 or K-2 topics. 

Have you looked at the Kumon workbooks? I use the time and money ones for easy review but you'll want to add in real life use occasionally too. I prefer MM Measurement 1 though for that topic. For word problems look at Singapore Process Skills and/or Challenging Word Problems. If you want something lighter for word problems check out Bedtime Math at your library.

Singapore Math might have what you're looking for.

Depending on the level, you might be able to get away with only purchasing their B books (i.e. 3b, 4b, etc.) And I'd go so far as to say you probably don't need the textbooks. We rarely open ours anymore.

They also have supplementary books containing word problems. I haven't used any of them, but I imagine "challenging word problems" would do the trick. Their regular workbooks do have word problems though.

MEP might be another option. Just go through the scope and sequence. Topics are all together - it's not divided up by chapter, but it's really just missing chapter headings. Same with Singapore or Math in Focus - just choose the applicable chapters. You could also do Beast Academy - it's evident what the topics are for each chapter. Maybe CLE as well? Really, any program that's set up as mastery based will have sections that deal with a single topic and you'll be able to pull from there. So while Math Mammoth is probably one of the easiest for buying purposes, I think most programs are an option for you.

I'd also say that you could not use a formal program just use enrichment programs instead. Things like the GEMS guides or Let's Play Math or various math projects books tend to be very heavy on topics like geometry. There's that SCM book about opening a pet store that I think deals with money? Anyway, there are a lot of math enrichment books that are much more geared toward the topics that you need to cover.