Menu

California History

goldenecho

I'm looking for engaging resources on California history for a class of kids with various learning disabilities ages 8-10.   This is in a school environment, so no religious material (it can talk about religion...California missions are going to be covered, but needs to be a secular or neutral resource).   Picture book or chapter books that could be read to a class, good videos, ect. ...anything you can think of that would work in a class.  (The school already has field trips covered). 

The long story of why I'm asking about stuff for a public school:  We decided to try a special smaller class for kids with learning disabilities at our local school.   The teacher is wonderful...lots of experience, but it's her first year in this grade level.   She knows I homeschooled, and was mentioning that they are doing California history this year, but the textbook is kind of dry and wondered if I had any suggestions for other material.   I have some stuff, but since we weren't even getting to Columbus for several more months (if I had kept homeschooling), I don't have a ton and I'd love to hear other suggestions.

Here is a curriculum for 4th grade California history.  

https://app.studiesweekly.com/results/California/Fourth Grade

I did this with my boys in 4th for VA history, which is when our state requires that subject.  I think now there is a hard-copy and on-line version (we did hard copy).  My boys enjoyed it and there was a lot of information and resources in the teacher's guide.

Just wanted to throw something out there so you would have a response :-).

• Like 2

Hmmmm, I had fun with California history.  Definitely cover Native Americans. One Northern California tribe we studied never cleaned their homes, they just burned them down when they got too dirty and built new ones.?   Definitely the Gold Rush.  A couple of my favorite read alouds were “By the Great Horn Spoon” which was a lot of fun, and my absolute favorite book “Blue Willow”.

• Haha 2

On 9/6/2018 at 6:19 AM, mlktwins said:

Here is a curriculum for 4th grade California history.  

https://app.studiesweekly.com/results/California/Fourth Grade

I did this with my boys in 4th for VA history, which is when our state requires that subject.  I think now there is a hard-copy and on-line version (we did hard copy).  My boys enjoyed it and there was a lot of information and resources in the teacher's guide.

Just wanted to throw something out there so you would have a response :-).

This looks interesting! We have no formal requirements in our state to cover certain topics certain years but both of my parents were public school teachers and they keep asking my daughter what is she’s studying state history this year since that’s what’s covered in 4th grade here in PS. Honestly, I find it incredibly annoying that they just won’t let it go but this may be a good solution to get them off my back about it!  Thanks!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, smarson said:

This looks interesting! We have no formal requirements in our state to cover certain topics certain years but both of my parents were public school teachers and they keep asking my daughter what is she’s studying state history this year since that’s what’s covered in 4th grade here in PS. Honestly, I find it incredibly annoying that they just won’t let it go but this may be a good solution to get them off my back about it!  Thanks!

I was never sure if I was going to put them in PS, so I wanted to make sure I covered this :-).  At the time, it was $32 for 2 kids and the teacher's manual.  Worth it for me not to have to put something together.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2018 at 6:49 AM, mlktwins said:

I was never sure if I was going to put them in PS, so I wanted to make sure I covered this :-).  At the time, it was $32 for 2 kids and the teacher's manual.  Worth it for me not to have to put something together.

I don’t see any TM, only little magazine-like things for an online option of simply $5.49. Maybe I’m missing something? It says the TM is included?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, smarson said:

I don’t see any TM, only little magazine-like things for an online option of simply $5.49. Maybe I’m missing something? It says the TM is included?

We used this before they did the on-line version so you will have to contact them for questions regarding hard copy and/or on-line versions.  For hard copy, the students get a little newspaper (one for each week).  You will get a teacher's manual that does look like a little magazine.  Mine came quarterly, so ended up with 4 TMs.  The little newspapers have articles and information, little puzzles, etc.  The TM has additional resources (websites, books), comprehension questions, quizzes, tests, activities for math and writing, crafts, etc.  It was a nice little curriculum for the money and you can do as much or little as you like.  It was recommended here on the WTM, which was how I found out about it.

Again, I don't know anything about the on-line version.  I like the hard copy stuff, but may be nice to do quizzes, etc. on-line if that is how it works.

Good luck!  

• Thanks 1