Menu

What are the differences in Singapore?

lulalu

Rather than type it all out, I'll just give you the link to Singapore Math's FAQ.

One of the biggest differences is the order that topics are presented and some of the depth of topics. It is, more or less, all the same information in all the editions.

I've chosen Standards Edition for our son this year. Standards was what I used 15 or so years ago with my older kids. That's really the only reason I chose it, familiarity.

• Like 2

We have used US and Standards (CA) editions.  Besides what is described in that link above my observation is that the HIGs in standards are slightly better, and the Standards texts continue in full color through at least level 5 (haven’t used 6) where’s in the US Edition I think it switches after 2nd.  Also, Standards has more review built in. US has more things correlated to it (eg CWP, IP, etc).

Each one of my children's Math journeys have been slightly different but when we have used Singapore we use US in 1st-2nd and Standards in 3-5th - it’s mostly arbitrary based on what I could get at certain points in time. Currently my 1st grader is using US Ed 1A with IP and games/activities from RS and Miquon.  Really you don’t need to supplement with Singapore, I just gave my favorite activities or things I think will work for this learner, and we are moving at an accelerated pace so I want more games practice and less pencil practice.

Its hard to go wrong with either.

• Like 1

Answering your second question:

We started with Standards, which is the version my kids used in a traditional private school.  For the first year of homeschooling, I stayed with Standards and used the HIG, Extra Practice book, and the test packets because those are the resources that our public charter umbrella provided free of charge.  In my second year, I discovered SingaporeMathLive.com (SML) and began using US Edition.  We also began using CWP and IP because those are also taught by SML.  All I can say is:  You haven't lived until you've worked through CWP and IP at the 5th and 6th grade levels! 

The workbooks for both editions were super easy for my kids....but CWP and IP were where we met our match.  CWP and IP contain very challenging problems, but SML walks students through answers to all the word problems.  It's a great service.  SML has videos for parents - to help parents teach the subject matter; and videos that speak directly to the kids for each lesson.  

In short, our move to US Edition was solely the result of having chosen SML as a resource.  It was one of the best homeschool decisions I've made.  SML taught my kids to think through the difficult problems in ways that I could not teach on my own.  My kids are strong in math, so the addition of CWP and IP was a good fit for us.  Those books may not be the best choice for kids who struggle with math.  

If you think CWP and IP would be a good fit for your kids, then I highly recommend using the US Edition and subscribing to SML.  (When using SML, we often tackled the CWP and IP books on a one-week delay from the given schedule.)

Quick comment on the Standards version:  I like the tests.  Even though we use the US Edition, each semester my kids take a unit test from the Standards testing pack provided by our charter school.  

• Like 2