Menu

Common App - applicant ratings question

Nancy in NH

Just wondering if you guys have noticed this problem for following question in the Counselor Profile on the Common App: "Do you complete applicant's academic ratings on the Common Application School Report?"

When I looked for help on the CA website, it says this is in reference to the "Compared to other students in his or her class year, how do you rate this student in terms of...".  That was another question on the CA (in School Report Curriculum tab) that was bugging me, and apparently, they are supposed to be linked.  Answer yes to the first, you are prompted (and required) to answer the second.  Answer no and the 2nd goes away.  The explanation states you are not required to answer it. The only answer that makes sense then is to respond no to the 1st, which is what I did, but that question is now under the Curriculum tab and it shows as still being required.  The explanation shows there should be a tab for "Ratings" and that seems to no longer exist (and obviously has been moved to the Curriculum tab).  Then the only answer for the 2nd that makes sense is "Prefer not to respond".  That response rubs me the wrong way, because it seems to suggest I'm avoiding answering, and not giving my student the credit she deserves for having a demanding curriculum.

Is it just me?  Looks like Common App updated some things, but missed the mark on this one.

Nancy in NH

• Like 1

Okay.

The first question(s) asks about rating your student in relation to academic achievement.

The second asks about rating your student in relation to demand of curriculum.

I know - it all seems strange as a homeschooler. Unless you have a basis to compare your homeschooler to others, I usually recommend what you did - answering No to that first question.

I would either answer the second question as "prefer not to respond" or "most demanding" if you're comfortable with that.

• Like 2

I went looking for this as I didn't remember the second question. Thanks to lisabees for figuring out what Nancy in NH is referring to.

In comparison with other college preparatory students at your school, the applicant's course selection is

The above is the second question, right? I grinned a little on this, but I remember other people in prior years pointing out that you are comparing this student with either him/herself or siblings (depending on how you want to think of it). In my case, since I'm filling this out for my oldest, it is easy for me to answer "most demanding." Now, if the next one has to fill out the Common App, I might answer "very demanding" because her stuff is very demanding for her.

• Like 2