Menu

Who has cancelled/deleted an AP score?

I know you can do this. But how? Anyone successfully done this?

It seems this is the link: https://apcentral.collegeboard.org/pdf/ap-score-cancellation.pdf

My question is also - if this is the form, how do I make sure the correct test is cancelled. (My ds took the AP US Govt test in 9th grade, got a 3, so we decided to re-study and take the exam and 10th grade and he got a 5. Can I delete only the 3 from 9th grade? Should I?)

Thanks!

Why cancel it? AP scores are generally self reported until they are submitted to the college the student is attending and requesting credit at. 

He can self report the higher score.  When scores are sent to the school he attends, the higher score will get him credit.

I'm not sure I see what is gained by cancelling the earlier score. Given how hard (maybe impossible) it would be to get back the higher score if they accidentally cancel both.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sebastian (a lady) said:

Why cancel it? AP scores are generally self reported until they are submitted to the college the student is attending and requesting credit at. 

He can self report the higher score.  When scores are sent to the school he attends, the higher score will get him credit.

I'm not sure I see what is gained by cancelling the earlier score. Given how hard (maybe impossible) it would be to get back the higher score if they accidentally cancel both.

If they are self reporting, don’t we need to report all scores? Wouldn’t it look deceiving to only report scores selectively? I am genuinely wondering about this. 

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

If they are self reporting, don’t we need to report all scores? Wouldn’t it look deceiving to only report scores selectively? I am genuinely wondering about this. 

How is he applying?  Is there even a mechanism to report multiple scores for the same exam?

I don't have a fully developed opinion about reporting every score.   I'm not sure how much schools use AP scores in admissions decisions.  It might matter more for a homeschooler.

This column has some thoughts.  There is an option of withholding a score instead of canceling it.

https://blog.prepscholar.com/do-colleges-look-at-ap-scores-for-admission

Also in the OPs case it's a matter of a good and a really good score.  A 3 is still worth credit at many schools.  

One question is if the student did another full year of study (as in he retook the course) or if he just did better studying and retook the test (and did another entire course in social studies). 

18 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

What an admissions officer will infer from a graded AP course without a self-reported test score is an open question.  That would be really interesting to ask an admissions officer someday if I ever get the opportunity to do so anonymously.  From what I have read, this varies by school - some super-selective schools care, others do not.  I have a hard time imagining that a great deal of attention is paid to data points that are not present in the short time an app gets read, but we are not looking at extremely selective, HYPS-level schools.  One anecdotal example I read about was U Chicago, where a person claiming to be a former admissions officer said they care about missing AP scores, but that person worked there >5 yrs ago, and since then the school has changed its written testing policies for SAT/ACT.  Their new test-optional policy surely has its share of a need to read between the lines, but it is premised on the idea of reporting what the student feels is representative.

A homeschooled AP course may make reporting much more important; I have not looked at homeschooler app requirements.  Incidentally, over the summer, a lot more colleges changed their regular, non-homeschooler testing requirements to allow self-reporting of SAT/ACT scores in the app - seems much more common than it was even a year ago.

(The Common App includes the ability to self-report an AP test, taken or planned to take, the date, the subject and the score.  The student can include as many or as few as they wish.  Tip:  the Common App allows you to open a parent "practice" account that allows you to see all of this.)

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Sebastian (a lady) said:

yes this worries me. i guess we should have cancelled the 3 before the 2nd test was taken.

we decided to scrub AP Govt from his transcript for 9th grade, and he retook the class in 10th grade. (know that he barely gave it the time it required in 9th, sloughing it off, and so did a very concerted course of study for it in 10th grade to correct mistakes). so it will show NO AP Govt for 9th grade on his transcript - and only show it as a 0.5 credit for his 10th grade year. does that matter if i can't cancel/delete the first score?

On 9/2/2018 at 4:49 AM, mirabillis said:

yes this worries me. i guess we should have cancelled the 3 before the 2nd test was taken.

we decided to scrub AP Govt from his transcript for 9th grade, and he retook the class in 10th grade. (know that he barely gave it the time it required in 9th, sloughing it off, and so did a very concerted course of study for it in 10th grade to correct mistakes). so it will show NO AP Govt for 9th grade on his transcript - and only show it as a 0.5 credit for his 10th grade year. does that matter if i can't cancel/delete the first score?

To me that sounds like a situation where a student sat for  the exam after self studying and subsequently took a full course and retook the test.

He earned a 3 after less than full hearted prep as a 9th grader.  I don't see that as a negative score even with the final higher score.

I'm on the fence about if I'd report both scores or just the higher one.  I also don't think he has to decide for a couple years.  It might be something to ask some admission officers when you have a chance.