Menu

Do you DIY for LA CM style?

Amber in AUS

I am wondering how many people DIY their LA in a CM style. I am looking to do this when we start LA proper after DD has learnt to read and finished the basic manuscript work we are doing.

I am thinking about doing something like this. Choose a sentence from a living book we have been reading. Use it for copy work (handwriting), spelling via dictation and narration. Working on the same sentence everyday for a week.

Does this sound OK?

How would i incorporate grammar into this as she gets older. I am not one to chop and change so if this isn't going to work for me i will rethink. I am not strong in grammar, had not real formal education in this area so would need some kind of guide for me to learn the aspects so that i could choose an appropriate sentence, paragraph when she is older. Is there such a text?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

I do a lot myself. I get a curriculum sometimes but don't always end up using it, LOL! I like to do a lot with copywork.

I'm not one who thinks grammar needs to be taught yearly, you can get a curriculum for that if you want.

BTW, an EXCELLENT class on how to teach with copywork and dictation is offered by bravewriter.com. I learned a lot through that, might be something to keep in mind if you are feeling stuck or if you want to get more mileage out of what you're doing.

Merry :-)

Simply Grammar is for fourth grade and older. In the early years this is what I'm doing too, except that I'm planning on adding Primary Language Lessons by Margot Davidson starting in second grade.

Good resources to read about the language arts CM style (you can get them through Interlibrary loan):

When Children Love to Learn

A Charlotte Mason Companion

Simply Grammar being for 4th and older is something to keep in mind for the future but isn't something i want to use anytime soon. Thanks for the suggestion tho.

I have 'When children love to learn' and am reading thru it at the moment. I will try and get my hands on a copy of 'A Charlotte Mason Companion', thanks for the suggestion. Going to check out Primary Language Lessons too.

I still think i need a 'learn grammar for grownups' type book so i can get my head around that side of it.

Yes here are 2 websites that really break it down for you to easily see how it is done.This one is a blog of a lady from the Five in a Row message boards. She is very intelligent and just fun. http://blogshewrote.blogspot.com/2008/06/thoughts-on-grammar.html and here is the other http://www.design-your-homeschool.com/language-arts-lesson-plan.html that one contains lots of information on schooling in general I have enjoyed reading. HTH! :D