Menu

SOTW vs. Textbook

goldenecho

So, my youngest has been homeschooled the last 4 years and we've been doing Story of the World. My oldest is in regular high school. We got his books today and I flipped open his history book to a random page and it was something his brother had just covered in SOTW. But MAN, the difference! I mean, I realize part of the reason is that it's high school, not elementary, but they made something interesting so dull.   It made me remember why I disliked history so much in High School.

I made my high schooler, who hates history, read a paragraph of his book and a paragraph of the same topic in SOTW. He pointed to SOTW and said..."This is so much better. I could tell by the first sentence."   It takes longer to cover the same topic, but it's so much more enjoyable to read.

• Like 5

It’s true. We went through SOTW when my kids were in the younger grades and it was successful for us. But, as they got older we moved toward textbooks and definitely dry reading. A lot of times we did history after lunch and I literally fought to stay awake.

I jumped mine from childrens history books with supplements to college level texts. They still love the subject. I'm sure there is a great history text out there for for the middle grades of 5-12, but doubt that it's worth the expense and hassle to find it.