Menu

Alternative to AAS level 3

Runningmom80

DD 8 is bright, but not a natural speller, and specifically requested to keep going with spelling. (She hates when she writes a word and can tell it's misspelled)

She's done AAS levels 1&2, and while it's been working pretty well, I don't really feel like dealing with all the pieces and parts anymore.  

I'm looking for something fun (I know) and not too expensive.  I'm going to dig my TWTM out of a box today but I figured you smart parents would have wonderful suggestions as well. 

If it helps, I usually teach straight from the TM only for AAS starting at level 3 and going up. I don't use the cards or tiles at all after that. I wouldn't say it's fun exactly but it's more interesting than a list of spelling words each week ? The TM isn't cheap, but it's cheaper than getting the student packet as well. If AAS is working for her so far, maybe tweaking it in that way to make it easier for you to teach is a possibility.

• Like 3

Agreed. We use the Teacher's Manual only. I have a composition book for my girls that we made our own "silent e" book pages at the end. They use the rest of it for their spelling practice. It took like 2 minutes. Other than that, I teach the lesson using the AAS app (but paper if I didn't have that). It looks like this:

Day 1: Lesson
Day 2: Spelling list
Day 3: Extra spelling words if there are a lot, otherwise add to Day 2
Day 4: First half of sentences
Day 5: Second half of sentences
Day 6: Write their own sentences from the list of words.

That’s how we use AAS too. DS has a notebook that he writes the words and sentences in and I just read aloud the lesson. DS is a natural speller too but we still like AAS because of the rules. He remembers them and uses them when writing. I break up the lesson over a couple of days so it’s just a few minutes a day. It does a great job of breaking things out and teaching. Most of the time it’s easy for him but every now and then there is a lesson that he needs the rule for.

4 hours ago, MeaganS said:

Agreed. We use the Teacher's Manual only. I have a composition book for my girls that we made our own "silent e" book pages at the end. They use the rest of it for their spelling practice. It took like 2 minutes. Other than that, I teach the lesson using the AAS app (but paper if I didn't have that). It looks like this:

Day 1: Lesson
Day 2: Spelling list
Day 3: Extra spelling words if there are a lot, otherwise add to Day 2
Day 4: First half of sentences
Day 5: Second half of sentences
Day 6: Write their own sentences from the list of words.

I completely forgot there was an app!  That might be a game changer. 

Thanks for the replies!

43 minutes ago, Momto5inIN said:

I haven't heard about the app either! What does it do? Does it replace the TM and the student packet? Or is it supplementary?

The app replaces the phonogram tiles.  It has all the syllable tags and everything.  It is a game changer for our family.  My toddlers were always getting into the tiles & losing them.  It was a nightmare.   It is worth the $20 to us because it made the program successful, but I agree that it is way overpriced.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ananda said:

The app replaces the phonogram tiles.  It has all the syllable tags and everything.  It is a game changer for our family.  My toddlers were always getting into the tiles & losing them.  It was a nightmare.   It is worth the $20 to us because it made the program successful, but I agree that it is way overpriced.

I agree with this. We never used the tiles. They took way too long to do and my toddler (now 1st grader) ruined them early on. The app makes it so much easier. I will add that the app has a drop down for every level and every lesson, so you only get the tiles they've learned up to that point. It also says the phonograms if you hold them down. We used the SoundLiteracy app, which wasn't AAS specifically but worked the same way. I did buy the AAS app and I think I like it more. The only thing I wish I could do is write on the screen. I used that a lot with the SoundLiteracy app.

I also don't think it is overpriced. If you buy the tiles, it costs about the same, and I think the value for the app is better. It is a niche app, so they can't spread the cost around for millions of customers. If it was a computer program, people wouldn't be surprised at the cost, and I like the app better than a computer program. I'm used to buying niche special needs apps though, so ymmv.

17 minutes ago, MeaganS said:

I agree with this. We never used the tiles. They took way too long to do and my toddler (now 1st grader) ruined them early on. The app makes it so much easier. I will add that the app has a drop down for every level and every lesson, so you only get the tiles they've learned up to that point. It also says the phonograms if you hold them down. We used the SoundLiteracy app, which wasn't AAS specifically but worked the same way. I did buy the AAS app and I think I like it more. The only thing I wish I could do is write on the screen. I used that a lot with the SoundLiteracy app.

I also don't think it is overpriced. If you buy the tiles, it costs about the same, and I think the value for the app is better. It is a niche app, so they can't spread the cost around for millions of customers. If it was a computer program, people wouldn't be surprised at the cost, and I like the app better than a computer program. I'm used to buying niche special needs apps though, so ymmv.

I already bought the tiles though, and these are my youngest kids, so it's really not worth it in my situation, IMO. If I was just starting out, it would definitely be worth it. 

8 hours ago, Momto5inIN said:

I haven't heard about the app either! What does it do? Does it replace the TM and the student packet? Or is it supplementary?

It can replace the tiles completely, or be used as an alternative (tiles on the go or just another home activity). If you look under the first FAQ question on the Letter Tiles App page, you can see two videos about the features. HTH!

• Like 2