Menu

Do you like Saxon Phonics?

Jayne J

I am looking to buy some phonics instruction for ds5. I have taught him the letter sounds etc. and he is reading cvc words fairly well (Bob books 1-4 are fairly easy for him) Problem is, mommy's out of steam and not trusting herself to go much further on her own. I have OPGTR, but we don't really like it--ds likes worksheets, bells and whistles etc.

I am considering saxon phonics, but before I spend the cash, what do you think of it? I want something easy for me, thorough, and at least somewhat fun (OPGTR is way too dull for ds--and me).

My daughter was in ps in K and they used Saxon Phonics, so I used the next level for 1st grade. The manual is so thick because it's scripted. She did fine with it. She's an awesome reader. She did get bored in January. "Okay mom, I know this stuff, can I just read?" Since she was reading so well, we didn't bother doing phonics for 2nd grade.

So, it worked. The lessons for first grade took 20-30 minutes. There's a worksheet every day (not sure if your dc will like that). I'm shopping for a phonics program for my youngest, as well.

My youngest will be in K next year. I've been researching HOP, Phonics Pathways, ETC, or trying Saxon with him.

I'd love to hear more feedback on this.

HTH,

Patty

I opened up Saxon Phonics, someone gave it to me for free, and then I closed it right back up. There were tapes, cards, workbooks, a huge teacher book like the math program etc. Way too much stuff for me. I felt like the lessons wanted us to do like 50 things each time.

:iagree: That was my feeling exactly!