Menu

Essentials of the English Language to ???

jens2sons

We have decided to leave Classical Conversations and go back to homeschooling on our own this next school year.  My son is 11, going in to 6th grade and has completed one year of the CC Essentials program.  We actively participated and he did well for the most part, however the rush of the program stresses both of us.  I am looking to use Rod & Staff English but having a hard time figuring out which book to choose.  Do I choose book 4, 5 or 6 after using CC's Essentials of the English Language?  Can anyone here help me?

On 8/7/2018 at 4:12 AM, Another Lynn said:

I'm not super experienced with R&S, but I believe grade 5 is usually the entry point for an older student without previous grammar instruction, so I think he'd be fine in grade 5 or 6.  Definitely don't put him back in grade 4.  

Thank you Lynn!  Do you have any experience with Easy Grammar?  

6 hours ago, jens2sons said:

Thank you Lynn!  Do you have any experience with Easy Grammar?  

I have used Daily Grams, but not Easy Grammar (yet).  My youngest will use it this year as part of a local co-op class.  But I'm guessing you could start Easy Grammar on grade level.  

As far as R&S goes (since no one else has chimed in), if I were you, I would look at the samples online for 5 and 6 and go with your gut.  Does the smaller print, quicker pace, greater detail of grade 6 look daunting?  Then start at 5.  If it doesn't look too bad, then jump in with confidence!