Menu

Need spelling curriculum for a "sight" reader

MamaLlama2

Hello! I am trying to decide on a spelling curriculum for my DD. She is almost 6 and we just finished The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading. She was already reading when we started it, we did BOB books and she was off and running, and she was bored by having to learn phonics "rules". I made us finish it so that she would have a phonics foundation, but she hated it. She is now reading on around a fourth grade level, and seems to have no need for phonics rules, she tells me "Mom! I just know the words, I don't need the rules!" And it does seem that once she sees a new word and hears it said, she knows how to read it from then on, she is doing it by sight. It seems she will catch on to spelling quickly, though she is still spelling many things phonetically at this point. I don't want something that breaks it down to the rules so much that I lose her interest, even though I certainly see the value in phonics, but I also want something useful that isn't busy work (i.e. something that actually helps her retain the spelling).

Spelling Workout - I am concerned about the many claims that this is busy work.

Spelling Power - I like the idea of this one, seems like maybe a balance between not being busy work but also not breaking it down too much too bore her, but I read it is supposed to start at age 8. My DD is ahead in reading, but I don't want to start this too soon. What would we do in the meantime?

AAS and SS - I think these would be more intensive practice than we need, and too much focus on the rules...?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

We tried two different spelling curricula (an old Spell Right from the 1960s and AAS) with the youngest.  He could intuit the spelling rules, but it didn't carry over to writing.  Same trouble my oldest had (and we ran through the gamut with him before just concentrating on roots).  I tried a different approach and the youngest took off.  Dictation Day By Day is a method of cold, circular, dictation that builds on itself.  Each day is about 2 sentences that cycle through previous known words and a few new words that are underlined so that they're written where the child can see them.  It starts easy "See my doll." and slowly progresses.  I liked that it taught spelling in context and reinforced good writing habits of making sure there is always a capital letter and period to show a complete thought.  And I figured that since it was free we couldn't go wrong in trying it.  I add in the spelling rules as they come up and write trickier rules on the board/ go over them before we start.
Had that not worked, I would have tried Spell By Color next, and then Spelling You See, only in that order because SBC year 1 is also free, and SYS takes the two methods and goes a bit more in depth for the student who may have more trouble remembering.

8 hours ago, nwahomeschoolmom said:

Dictation Day by Day looks pretty similar to what I am doing.  I just like to have books in front of me and I don't have a good printer to print it myself.

Amazon sells paper copies put out by the....Lost Classics Company, I think?  I bought a paper copy this year because my ipad died.

• Like 1

You might like Dr. Fry's Spelling Book. He keeps things simple and yet includes phonics. He uses the words in phrases or sentences the student can write or say.

If you would like DVDs, Sequential Spelling has DVDs.

Abeka spelling and Christian Liberty spelling have less work than some spelling curriculums.

Edited by acresoft

I love Rod and Staff Spelling as it gives the kids a little bit of busywork while teaching the rules and patterns of Spelling.

I love Natural Speller as it helps the kids see patterns.

I was recently given Spelling Power and it is a nice resource.  I like that the list are listed as most commonly used words...therefore enabling early writers to find words that they may not know and should learn quickly.  I just quizzed my kids down the list and found their trouble words.

We like Spelling at our house...so we like to quiz words.

Brenda