Menu

Signing up for SAT *not* through Collegeboard

I checked on college board to see when my local school is hosting the test.  My school wasn't on there.  I contacted the school and the guidance counselor said that the school is part of an "SAT school day program" so the test dates are not on the college board website.  He said that they start signing kids up for it after the Christmas break and to contact him then and we'd get my son signed up.  The phrase "SAT school day program" may or may not be an official name.  He might just be calling it that on his own.

We've taken the PSAT at this school twice before (in 9th and 10th) with no problems.  So, part of me doesn't anticipate any problems.  The school is very friendly and open to homeschoolers and have always been gracious and answered our questions right away.

But another part of me wants to be sure this is normal. Is it normal for schools to do this and for homeschoolers to contact the school directly and NOT sign up through college board?  I thought you had to sign up through college board?  And get a ticket or something to bring with you on the day of the test?  (That's what we had to do for a Subject test at a different school.)  Or was all that only if the school wasn't offering it for their "SAT school day program"?  

3 minutes ago, Garga said:

The phrase "SAT school day program" may or may not be an official name.  He might just be calling it that on his own.

SAT School Day https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sat/k12-educators/sat-school-day

My school district does that and they are not obliged to take anyone else and they only allow certain grades for their own students, so not their entire high school population. 

12 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

SAT School Day https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sat/k12-educators/sat-school-day

My school district does that and they are not obliged to take anyone else and they only allow certain grades for their own students, so not their entire high school population. 

Ah!  Why didn't I think to look up "sat school day" online?  Doh! 

Unless something changes, it's been very easy to work with my local school.  If he says he can sign up my son, I believe him.  If there was a grade requirement, he'd have told me, "We'll sign him up, but I'll need X."

I wonder how hard it is to sign up for the test on college board at the last minute if something falls through with my local school and we can't take the test when they have it on their SAT school day.  Do the spots fill up quickly, or are there usually plenty of spots still left on the last day to sign up? I suppose it depends on the school/area.

3 minutes ago, Garga said:

If there was a grade requirement, he'd have told me, "We'll sign him up, but I'll need X."

Do the spots fill up quickly, or are there usually plenty of spots still left on the last day to sign up? I suppose it depends on the school/area.

Sorry, I meant grade requirement as in the student is in 10th grade or 11th grade.

Here spots fill up fast but we have plenty of high schools hosting so my kids just have to go to a high school that is not in their three choices. Usually we have more than ten schools hosting near to us.

1 minute ago, Arcadia said:

Sorry, I meant grade requirement as in the student is in 10th grade or 11th grade.

Here spots fill up fast but we have plenty of high schools hosting so my kids just have to go to a high school that is not in their three choices. Usually we have more than ten schools hosting near to us.

Thanks for the clarification!  Of course you meant 10th or 11th grade.  My brain is a little fried.  I've spent the last day reading literally 40 WTM links I've saved up over the past few years about SAT prep.  That's a lotta links.  

12 hours ago, Garga said:

I checked on college board to see when my local school is hosting the test.  My school wasn't on there.  I contacted the school and the guidance counselor said that the school is part of an "SAT school day program" so the test dates are not on the college board website.  He said that they start signing kids up for it after the Christmas break and to contact him then and we'd get my son signed up.  The phrase "SAT school day program" may or may not be an official name.  He might just be calling it that on his own.

We've taken the PSAT at this school twice before (in 9th and 10th) with no problems.  So, part of me doesn't anticipate any problems.  The school is very friendly and open to homeschoolers and have always been gracious and answered our questions right away.

But another part of me wants to be sure this is normal. Is it normal for schools to do this and for homeschoolers to contact the school directly and NOT sign up through college board?  I thought you had to sign up through college board?  And get a ticker or something to bring with you on the day of the test?  (That's what we had to do for a Subject test at a different school.)  Or was all that only if the school wasn't offering it for their "SAT school day program"?  

My state has phased out their own state graduation tests and replaced them with either the ACT or SAT.  Each district decides which test to administer to its students, and the state pays the testing fee for every junior in the state. My school district elected to participate in the "SAT school day program", and the law in Ohio requires that public schools permit homeschoolers in the district to sit for the exam.  The only stipulation is that the homeschooler must be in 11th grade.  (My extremely homeschool friendly public school district initially denied my request to have my junior sit for the test this past March because they weren't familiar with state law and told me that only their students could take the exam at their school.)  

My kids have taken the PSAT and many AP exams at our public school and always have had to go into the school and fill out paperwork to take the tests.  However, my daughter didn't need to complete any paperwork to sign up for the SAT school day program: the public school took care of that.  She also didn't receive any type of ticket to bring with her on test day.  All she brought with her was her ID and calculator.  Even though she didn't sign up for the SAT through the College Board, her test results were released  in her College Board account

5 hours ago, alewife said:

My kids have taken the PSAT and many AP exams at our public school and always have had to go into the school and fill out paperwork to take the tests.  However, my daughter didn't need to complete any paperwork to sign up for the SAT school day program: the public school took care of that.  She also didn't receive any type of ticket to bring with her on test day.  All she brought with her was her ID and calculator.  Even though she didn't sign up for the SAT through the College Board, her test results were released  in her College Board account

This is very helpful information and helps me to rest easier.  

• Like 1