Menu

Anybody know how to make really great NACHOS?

You can use cheddar or Monterrey Jack, or even mozzarella cheese. You can use them all, mixed up together, if you like. There is a Mexican cheese, white, melts like American cheese, that is very good on nachos, but I can't remember the name of it or find it on Google.

Here's a link to a website about Mexican cuisine. I think nachos are Tex-Mex, but this is a wonderful resource for other types of Mexican foods.

http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/recipes/puebla/kgmexicocuisine.html

RC

Edited by RoughCollie

Do you mean regular cheese, or nacho cheese sauce?

Noooooo!!!! They serve those sauce-style nachos at concession stands. I'm talking *real* nachos from Mx restaurants. W/ fajita meat, etc.

I think I can pretty much figure it all out, except. the. cheese. How do you melt it/bake it/whatever it w/out it burning??

Can I just say that I am a total food snob, and don't eat junk food at all....and yet, that melted cheese sauce stuff is to die for. The only time we ever eat at fast food places is once a year when we drive up to Canada. I make sure we stop at Arbys so I can get the cheese fries. For shame!

That is all.

Ria

I make nachos with ground beef seasoned with chopped onion, minced garlic, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, paprika, and oregano (adding a fresh cilantro after cooking).

Put a layer of chips on a plate, top with ground beef mixture, black beans or refried beans, sprinkle top with a mixture or Colby/Monterey Jack/White sharp cheddar (if I get by a specialty store I will look for Chihuahua cheese instead). Place the whole plate into oven and cook (about 375) just until cheese melted.

When you bring them out top with chopped lettuce, chopped tomato, salsa, avocado or guacamole, fresh cilantro, sour cream, and squeeze piece of lime over before serving.

I make nachos with ground beef seasoned with chopped onion, minced garlic, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, paprika, and oregano (adding a fresh cilantro after cooking).

Put a layer of chips on a plate, top with ground beef mixture, black beans or refried beans, sprinkle top with a mixture or Colby/Monterey Jack/White sharp cheddar (if I get by a specialty store I will look for Chihuahua cheese instead). Place the whole plate into oven and cook (about 375) just until cheese melted.

When you bring them out top with chopped lettuce, chopped tomato, salsa, avocado or guacamole, fresh cilantro, sour cream, and squeeze piece of lime over before serving.

Oh, that sounds so good.

I have a bag of tostadas and I bet this method would produce a yummy lunch for my boys tomorrow.