Menu

Developing central coherence

Kbutton, I was reviewing http://www.njsha.org/continuing-ed/pdfs/2016-NJSHA-NJIDA-Handouts.pdf because it was in my browser tab still open. Moats talks about cohesive ties here. Later, on page 25 she shows a compare/contrast graphic, and she includes the language "only" and "both" to make the compare/contrast. Interestingly, in the work I'm doing with ds, those words fall under "concept words," meaning they're something we've worked on explicitly. They were actually a little tricky for him and USING the words actively was even trickier. 

There's other good stuff in here and I had given the link before. I was just surprised to see the concept words there. I hadn't really connected them in my mind to expository writing.

2 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Kbutton, I was reviewing http://www.njsha.org/continuing-ed/pdfs/2016-NJSHA-NJIDA-Handouts.pdf because it was in my browser tab still open. Moats talks about cohesive ties here. Later, on page 25 she shows a compare/contrast graphic, and she includes the language "only" and "both" to make the compare/contrast. Interestingly, in the work I'm doing with ds, those words fall under "concept words," meaning they're something we've worked on explicitly. They were actually a little tricky for him and USING the words actively was even trickier. 

There's other good stuff in here and I had given the link before. I was just surprised to see the concept words there. I hadn't really connected them in my mind to expository writing.

That Only X, Only Y, and Both X and Y "verbal" Venn diagram might actually function as a cloze passage for my son to prompt the kinds of words he needs to get out. 

Yeah, I have looked at a lot of your links, but I can't keep track of all of them, lol! We've had way too much going on. I have printed several and sent them to the SLP to discuss.

• Like 2

http://www.linguisystems.com/products/product/display?itemid=10308

http://www.linguisystems.com/products/product/display?itemid=10048

These are the types of things we're doing for concepts. They're deceptively simple. I really thought my ds would NOT NEED them, and then we got into it and I realized sort of bringing it to the front of his attention and getting him to think about the words and actively USE the words really did something good for his brain. He's starting to use them in speech. I think it's filtering down to that word, small words, smaller words level till his brain notices them.

http://www.linguisystems.com/products/product/display?itemid=10047 This one is so hard for him it makes him wig out, and you would think it was the easiest one of the bunch.

He's funny, with his ability to memorize language. He's going around now actually using comparatives to describe things. He never did this before. 

100%® Concepts Intermediate  This is the intermediate level of the 100% Concepts book we're using. There's such a logical follow-up with going to more precise academic terms. And then you can expand it to academic material, like you're saying. It doesn't have to live or stop on the worksheet. It could immediately go to science or history or something. And think about the gradations, the levels, vs. all/nothing, that would be missing. Like what is the difference between "only" and "exclusively" kwim? There's a difference in meaning there and it's scalable and knowable. 

Whatever. If your SLP is willing to sink her teeth into it, that's what you need. That's why she gets the big bucks, lol. And I think I'm just fortunate that ds' issues are so glaring and blatant and egregious that he CAN use these materials and get progress. It's sorta like when the people who are morbidly obese lose weight faster than people who are trimmer. Just the great irony that sometimes people in the worse situation make faster initial progress, even though in the long run obviously you'd rather be the one in the better starting place.

1 hour ago, PeterPan said:

http://www.linguisystems.com/products/product/display?itemid=10047 This one is so hard for him it makes him wig out, and you would think it was the easiest one of the bunch.

He's funny, with his ability to memorize language. He's going around now actually using comparatives to describe things. He never did this before. 

100%® Concepts Intermediate  This is the intermediate level of the 100% Concepts book we're using. There's such a logical follow-up with going to more precise academic terms. And then you can expand it to academic material, like you're saying. It doesn't have to live or stop on the worksheet. It could immediately go to science or history or something. And think about the gradations, the levels, vs. all/nothing, that would be missing. Like what is the difference between "only" and "exclusively" kwim? There's a difference in meaning there and it's scalable and knowable. 

Whatever. If your SLP is willing to sink her teeth into it, that's what you need. That's why she gets the big bucks, lol. And I think I'm just fortunate that ds' issues are so glaring and blatant and egregious that he CAN use these materials and get progress. It's sorta like when the people who are morbidly obese lose weight faster than people who are trimmer. Just the great irony that sometimes people in the worse situation make faster initial progress, even though in the long run obviously you'd rather be the one in the better starting place.

I am not surprised that book is hard because it's combining a bunch of tasks--noticing, comparing, then spitting it out in sentences. 

The 100% concepts TOC makes a useful word list, lol! I am not sure the exercises hit on the concepts in a way that my son would need--he need to get things out, but the understanding seems to be there. 

The bolded is SO TRUE. I think too that my son limped along making sense of things his own way by just hanging onto a million bits of small information by just periodically tossing the overflow into some linguistic catch-all. If his problems had been identified early on, he might have benefitted from this stuff early so that things could go into a useful place tidily. Now, it's in there, but it's not necessarily in there in a way that has all the typical associations required to bring it out. It's in there in a very eclectically ( to most people, dis-)organized way.

Thanks for reposting some of these--I am not sure everything would be applicable as is, but I printed TOCs and samples (which are nicely labeled at the bottom by the publisher), and I am going to keep a file of things that might be useful. I am also looking at the intermediate levels of some of the same stuff. Ironically, I think my other kiddo might benefit a little from some of the titles--he actually does good things with language, but he's always running behind with his CAPD. It's harder for him to use context, for example, to pick up on a new word meaning, because it's all going by him so fast. The Word Origins and/or Roots, Prefixes, and Suffixes might be good for him. He might also be fine with a good vocab curriculum though. He is exceptionally good at reading for meaning and backtracking to make sure he's caught what he needs to. It's just that he can't do that when he's listening because he has no control over the pacing of what someone else says. Sometimes the entire topic has changed or the person talking has left the conversation before he realizes what he missed and can ask a question (or make a relevant comment). 

• Like 2