Menu

Swollen eyes due to poison ivy. Anything other than prednisone?

lisabees

Poison ivy loves me. Ever since I was a kid. I love to garden and constantly run inside to wash the oils off. Sometimes, I miss some.

My eyes are currently half swollen shut and I know it's only going to get worse. Two years ago, I was on prednisone for the same thing and I promised my family I wouldn't go on that stuff for another ten years!!! ? The side effects were awful.

Before I call the doctor, is there anything I can try for another day that might help? I'm afraid that my eyes will be completely shut by tomorrow, so time is of the essence.

I cannot tell you how bummed I am about this. Sigh.

1 minute ago, fairfarmhand said:

Go to the doctor. Did you do oral prednisone or an injection?

my dd reacts badly to the Oral but does oaky with a shot. 

I also have eye drops that are steroids for my allergies. 

Start taking Benadryl right now.

I took it orally. Great idea to ask for a shot! 

Thanks!

This stuff changed everything for me. I just discovered it this year (after I got poison ivy a FOURTH time.) It works like an immunization. You’re ingesting a tiny dose of poison ivy and this tells your immune response to calm the heck down. And it’s cheap. 

Im pulling it out of my property by hand, so I’m still getting into it and I can see the beginning of a rash, but as long as I take the pills it doesn’t spread, itch, or get weepy and gross.

7BD1AB6B-9350-4BB9-993F-8AE211FA0C01.jpeg

• Like 1

Like Kung Fu Panda, I heard similar things about poison oak. When we lived in the woods where it grew abundantly, people suggested we ingest a leaf. I don't get it much but was always too chicken to try it. Dh gets it much worse but there is no way I'd get him to eat some. I have never seen a homeopathic preparation for it though.

• Like 1