Menu

Tell me about Muzzy BBC Foreign Language instruction

ExcitedMama

I had never heard of this before today when it was emailed in the Cathy Duffy newsletter. It looks great and it’s an approved vendor in our virtual charter school. I searched here but most reviews mention it on DVD as outdated. I’m not sure if the online version is any different. I’d love to hear any experience with it. It looks like something DD would enjoy. When choosing a subscription do you have to commit to one language? Is it one subscription per child? I am hopeless with languages but also felt that my studying French was wasted in CA where there was no opportunity to practice it. For that reason I thought Spanish would be far more useful for my kids but DD really likes the idea of learning French. How long are the daily lessons? Is it worthwhile for kids to use independently? Does it work well on an iPad?

If you haven’t heard of it here are some links:

https://cathyduffyreviews.com/homeschool-reviews-core-curricula/foreign-language/publishers-offering-courses-for-many-languages/muzzy-foreign-language-programs

https://www.muzzybbc.com/schools

8 minutes ago, ExcitedMama said:

I had never heard of this before today when it was emailed in the Cathy Duffy newsletter. It looks great and it’s an approved vendor in our virtual charter school. I searched here but most reviews mention it on DVD as outdated. I’m not sure if the online version is any different. I’d love to hear any experience with it. It looks like something DD would enjoy. When choosing a subscription do you have to commit to one language? Is it one subscription per child? I am hopeless with languages but also felt that my studying French was wasted in CA where there was no opportunity to practice it. For that reason I thought Spanish would be far more useful for my kids but DD really likes the idea of learning French. How long are the daily lessons? Is it worthwhile for kids to use independently? Does it work well on an iPad?

If you haven’t heard of it here are some links:

https://cathyduffyreviews.com/homeschool-reviews-core-curricula/foreign-language/publishers-offering-courses-for-many-languages/muzzy-foreign-language-programs

https://www.muzzybbc.com/schools

We had the German one on DVD years ago. The audio was pretty bad, so that I had trouble understanding Muzzy sometimes (and I had had 6+ years of German in high school/college). None of my 3 kids wanted to watch the video often, so it was kind of worthless in my family. Sorry, I know nothing about the subscription.

• Like 1

We tried the Muzzy french DVD when we first started homeschooling 4 years ago. It may be nice for really young kids as exposure to a foreign language, but if you are hoping for retention/actual learning of the language, I would try something else. An app like Duolingo or free Mango from your local library is far better than Muzzy in my opinion. If course, there's always the possibility that the DVDs/program has changed or drastically improved. I have no experience with the online subscription either. Hope this helps a bit. 

• Like 1

"Somos Juan y Muzzy! Somos Muzzy y Juan. Tu y yo, son los dos, amigos tu y yo..." still hearing the song in my head 12 years later ?

We got it from the library the first time when my precocious oldest kids were 1 and 3, and a few times after that. They enjoyed watching it, but I didn't see much of any retained learning. I tried again later but there was no interest.  It was fun when they were little, but I wouldn't spend money on it.

• Like 1