Menu

Brainstorm Ancient History options - what am I forgetting?

Another Lynn

For next year of course - I will then have a 5th grader, 2nd grader, 1st grader and a 4yo (and a 1yo keeping us on our toes). I'm trying to remember all my options for a multi-level, Creation based year of Ancient History:

TOG

MFW

SOTW with AG (have SOTW vol1 cds) and add Bible in

Biblioplan

MOH (have it and don't like it)

Easy Classical

Truth Quest (Egypt and Greece/Rome)

Veritas Press

CCH (Classical Christian Homeschooling)

I think Diana Waring and Beautiful Feet (Intermediate) would be too high to have my youngers tagging along. There is a chance we will do Classical Conversations next year (even though I don't like it academically) because my dh is scheduled to be deployed to Iraq. I think one day out of the house with friends would be a good idea for everyone. But I don't think it's really possible to do CC and TOG at the same time.

I'm not ruling out making my own, but if I do that does anyone have a guideline for how many pages I can expect a 5th grader to read each week?

Thanks for any additions to my list or other thoughts to consider!!!

Have you looked at the Greenleaf guids (Memoria Press has them, too- republished with beautiful pictures).

Is there an enrichment type co-op that you could be a part of? CC is not cheap- nor is TOG.

We have loved Dianna Waring's Tapes and listened to them as stand alones years ago before there was a curriculum to go with.

We use the VP cards in conjunction with Foundations. We also listen to SOTW on tapes and do Christian Studies from MP. Last year we made timeline notebooks and over Xmas I want to print a bunch more bios for these to do as we do the VP cards and Foundations memory work.

I've been wondering the same thing. Tentatively what I have planned is Truthquest Ancient Egypt/Greece and Truthquest Ancient Rome in the same year. Used with The Story of the Ancient World. (by HA Guerber, revised by Christine Miller)

My other option is SOTW 1 and AG.

I'm leaning more toward Truthquest, but I haven't totally ruled out SOTW.

I've been wondering the same thing. Tentatively what I have planned is Truthquest Ancient Egypt/Greece and Truthquest Ancient Rome in the same year. Used with The Story of the Ancient World. (by HA Guerber, revised by Christine Miller)

My other option is SOTW 1 and AG.

I'm leaning more toward Truthquest, but I haven't totally ruled out SOTW.

You sound like me. I forgot, I also have Story of the Ancient World. Part of my problem is figuring out how many other books to schedule in. I always overestimate how much we can get read (and I do want us to do some reading outside of history too). So I will probably end up making up our own using Story of the Ancient World and some other resources.... lots to think about. I haven't rule out Truthquest either - I'm just worried we'll get bogged down in all the things we could cover instead of keeping things moving.

I haven't rule out Truthquest either - I'm just worried we'll get bogged down in all the things we could cover instead of keeping things moving.

What has worked for me is to keep the spine reading moving and scheduled, while leaving the pacing and choice of independent reading to my dd. A book basket of reading choices has worked really well here. The independent reading may be a little ahead or a bit behind of where I am with the spine reading, but it's all good!

Not really answering your question directly but on the Classical Conversations thing... If you choose to do it, the only real commitment you have is the day you go. You don't have to turn it into some massive project at home. If you want to review the memory work each day - fine. If you just want to listen to the CD in the car sometimes - fine. They can't/won't require you to be Memory Masters etc. That said, if you already know you don't like it, I'd wonder if you might want a different outlet. Even if you do nothing CC related during the week, you still are paying to go to the classes and spending that time there. If you already think you don't like it, will you really like it every week for 24 weeks? I'd be happy to answer questions about how it's going for us. This is our first year.

As far as history goes, unless you structure your history around CC, there is no reason you can't do any history program you wish - TOG included.

Heather

• 2 weeks later...
Not really answering your question directly but on the Classical Conversations thing... If you choose to do it, the only real commitment you have is the day you go. ....Heather

So, do you have your 13 year old doing Challenge? I'd be happy for you to answer on list or off...I'm trying to decide exactly what I think about it...and I'm wanting lots of opinions...:-)

We love doing CC for younger grades; I have a 5th grader and 5 year old.

We've memorized the work, by going over it once every few days and the cds.

I do know I have to buckle down next year...(not sure if that means January or 2009/2010 school year.) I hope that the memory work is helping them in "hammering pegs" and also just in the getting in the practice of memorizing.

Carrie:-)