Menu

Do I need BOTH First Lang Lessons #2 and Writing with Ease?

Hello! I am in the thick of planning for next school year and we have used ( and loved) FLL #1 this year so we will be moving on to FFL #2 for 2nd grade. I have also been looking at Writing with Ease ( either #1 or #2). Would this be overkill? Thanks for thoughts and suggestions! 

Nope, not overkill!

FLL covers grammar and some oral usage. It has some writing exercises in it, but if you do WWE those could be skipped if they're too much for your child.

WWE covers the process of putting sentences on paper, and the process of forming sentences in the mind. It deliberately unlinks those two things and works on then separately.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, ealp2009 said:

I would do FLL orally and then do WWE 1.   That’s what we did anyway.    It seems to work well to do FFL2 and WWE 1 at the same time.  Unless writing comes easily for your child.  

This is what I have done. It worked really well with my kids. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Have you seen SWB's updated recommendations for WWE? In 2014, she wrote that three levels of WWE is probably plenty. I did Levels 1-4 in 1st through 4th grade with my oldest, and Level 4 was almost our undoing. For my second child I did WWE1 in first, WWE2 in second, and slowly covered WWE3 in 3rd and 4th, plus lots of written narrations in 4th grade in history.  With my third child, I waited until 2nd grade to do WWE1, and in 3rd grade we are doing WWE2. In 4th grade he will do WWE3.  I have the old FLL1 &2 combined book that we did orally.