Menu

Completeness of MUS?

I know MUS for higher grades has been discussed quite frequently but I can't quite find the exact answer I need. 

For my very visual daughter I was thinking of doing all MUS through high school but I've seen varying thoughts on it through the high school years. My daughter wants to possibly be an ethical hacker or something related so will she be ok if we can get through Algebra 1 through Calculus? Will it be solid enough for college? Or should I just throw that out and go with Foersters? I just want her to have options and to really understand math. Thanks!

I would not use MUS with a student who was heading for a career in computer science. It is extremely lightweight, just a really basic way to check the math box for a student who struggles with math. Foersters would provide a much (like MUCH MUCH MUCH) more solid foundation in math. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My son plans to major in computer science in college!  He is going into 11th grade and is a strong math student.  He has had excellent standardized test scores.  We have used MUS since the pre-algebra level and are getting ready for MUS pre-calculus.  I feel MUS has helped my son to master algebra concepts and has provided a strong foundation in math.  My older son used MUS and is getting ready for college this fall.  MUS worked well for him, too.  Our experience with MUS has been very positive.  It has worked well for us, so we will continue down the MUS path through calculus.

• Like 1

My youngest dd used TT through Algebra 2 then switched to MUS for Pre-Calculus and Calculus.  She started college last semester.  Her teacher asked to meet with me toward the end of the semester.  She said she had never taught a student so well prepared for "higher" math.  She said dd had an excellent concept of the "why" and "how" of math and could "reverse engineer" problems.  She kept saying that dd's thought process on how to solve equations was beyond what she normally sees.  Dd has multiple "tools in her toolbox" for problem solving and seems equally comfortable with all.  She went on to say dd should really consider majoring in engineering or design as her theoretical grasp of math is extraordinary.  She asked dd to be one of the representatives to a math competition this coming year.  And finally said she can't wait to see how dd progresses through physics and future maths. 

I'd say MUS did quite well for my dd. 

• Like 5