Menu

Dr. Hive- drug resistant strep throat

bethben

My dd has been to the doctor three times back to back for strep throat.  Two rounds of amoxicillin (dose increased on the second round), one shot of penicillin, and now it looks like it's back again.  I have a feeling the doctor is thinking that taking her tonsils out is the next step since she told me that we would have to go to an ENT next.  

Is there anything I can do to try and avoid it?  I had strep back to back as an adult and gargled with a small amount of colloidal silver when it looked like it was coming back.  It stopped it.  The doctor told me not to have her gargle with that (I would have her spit it out-- it would be like a teaspoon or less) since colloidal silver is so hard on the liver.  We are going on a non-refundable vacation on Saturday and will be back next Wednesday.  Dd is the one most looking forward to this and would be devastated if we had to cancel due to step.  She's already had anger and crying about how it's kept her from some fun activities.  

I wouldn't jump to it being drug resistant without a culture that proves it.  Tonsils have deep areas where strep can hide, which is why removing them is so effective at ending strep.

Both DH and I had recurrent strep as kids, right in the middle of the movement to not remove tonsils after all. DH had his out and I didn't.  I still have problems with my tonsils as an adult.  DH went from a sickly kid to the kind of guy who gets sick maybe once every 3 years since his surgery.  It makes me wish I'd had mine taken out too.

• Like 1

Hmmm...  I think there are other antibiotics she'll be able to try.  I believe amoxicillin and penicillin are in the same antibiotic family, so her doctor will maybe want to try something from a different family.  We've had stubborn strep germs when it seemed to come right back, or we had to go on antibiotics twice as long to get rid of it completely.  

One of my dd's did get strep like my other kids when it was going around, but she'd also get tonsillitis and had sinus problems and swollen adenoids.  It seemed like she had colds and swollen tonsils all the time.  She eventually had her tonsils removed.  

Also, you might want to change toothbrushes.  I've heard those can be carriers.