Menu

Horizons Math or Beast Academy?

smarson

I've done Horizons math with my daughter since K.  We hit a huge road block this year and she just shut down regarding math.  Mid year this year I switched her from Horizons 3 to Beast Academy 3A.  It was a hit and she started enjoying math again!  Yay!!! 

Overall, I saw it as a huge win for us both.  So I'm sold that Beast Academy is a great program but I'm new to this whole mastery concept.  Horizons is spiral and I really like the fact that throughout the year she'd revisit old topics just to refresh them and to solidify them in her mind.  We're now 'done' with 3rd grade but she didn't finish either of the level 3 books for either program.  I'll for sure just keep going but I'm having a hard time completely letting go of Horizons.  I feel like it's such a great, comprehensive program.  During the summer we plan/hope to continue with Beast 3B-D or as far as we get before the fall comes around and or maybe gently do book 2 of Horizons 3?   In the fall, I'll just continue wherever we are and move forward... but is it okay to move completely to Beast and ditch Horizons?!  Gasp! ?  I know it's a silly question.  I'm just needing reassurance, I suppose, that she'll be okay and that she'll still learn the math she needs to learn.  

For what it's worth, I DO feel like Beast goes deeper than Horizons did/does, but it presents it so differently that I'm just having a hard time letting go. ? 

We used BA from 3A through 5B, and the only “supplement “ to it was DreamBox accounts.  They probably got about 20-60 min a week on SreamBox depending on how long BA took each day. I did not try to synchronize or line-up or dictate content on DreamBox - they just did it as it came.  So it wasn’t systematic review but it was review.

We use Beast as our only math curriculum, and my daughter is over halfway through BA5 now. It’s worked well. I do implement my own version of spiral for the main operations by adding about two worksheets from Kumon workbooks each week. I was just more comfortable with the extra practice, especially in multidigit multiplication and division - she understood how to do these very well from Beast, but still had to put a lot of thought in each time, and I wanted it to be effortless.