Menu

Windows to the World or Excellence in Literature - help me decide!

Help me decide between Windows to the World using the Jill Pyke syllabus and the first level of Excellence in Literature Introduction to Literature (by Janice Campbell). This will be for my 8th grader. He is a natural writer, but could use more instruction on essay writing. We limped our way through the first half of Lost Tools level 1, then switched to Bravewriter this year, which was a hit but isn't what I want to teach going forward. Both WttW and EiL look good so I can't make up my mind. I already own Windows to the World (haven't used it), but not Teaching the Classics, so the Jill Pyke syllabus would cost more.  If anyone has used both and could compare them that would be awesome! 

I haven't used both, but have looked at both and used windows. I would do WttW. It is excellent for beginning lit analysis. EiL is a good follow up but doesn't teach the skills like WttW.   In fact, I am sure I read somewhere or heard J Campbell say that WttW was great to use before her series. I didn't do the JillPike supplement bc I used other extra books the years I did it 

4 hours ago, freesia said:

I haven't used both, but have looked at both and used windows. I would do WttW. It is excellent for beginning lit analysis. EiL is a good follow up but doesn't teach the skills like WttW.   In fact, I am sure I read somewhere or heard J Campbell say that WttW was great to use before her series. I didn't do the JillPike supplement bc I used other extra books the years I did it 

Do you mind if I ask what other extra books you did? 

ETA: You are right about using WttW before EIL. Sounds like we will do that for my 8th grader and start EIL in 9th (or at least not right at the beginning of 8th grade).  I found this review that discusses this - it is super helpful. Putting it here for anyone else who might stumble upon this thread. http://www.debrabrinkman.com/2011/10/review-excellence-in-literature.html

13 hours ago, redquilthorse said:

Do you mind if I ask what other extra books you did? 

ETA: You are right about using WttW before EIL. Sounds like we will do that for my 8th grader and start EIL in 9th (or at least not right at the beginning of 8th grade).  I found this review that discusses this - it is super helpful. Putting it here for anyone else who might stumble upon this thread. http://www.debrabrinkman.com/2011/10/review-excellence-in-literature.html

I used some Tapestry of Grace assigned books bc that's the history curriculum we use. I think we did Animal Farm, The Pearl, To Kill a Mockingbird, Old Man and the Sea, the Chosen, citizen of the Galaxy and I Robot. 

We love both but WttW would need to come first. EiL is great for lit, but it definitely assumes the student already knows how to write a good literary analysis essay, which WttW covers very completely and succinctly. After WttW we pick and choose different EiL units depending on our history studies. It's been a great combo for us!

On 6/14/2018 at 9:09 AM, Momto5inIN said:

We love both but WttW would need to come first. EiL is great for lit, but it definitely assumes the student already knows how to write a good literary analysis essay, which WttW covers very completely and succinctly. After WttW we pick and choose different EiL units depending on our history studies. It's been a great combo for us!

Thanks!

• Like 1