Menu

Grammar and Writing placement

Hi!

I have been looking into Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind for my soon to be 8th grader. He has had some grammar up to this point but I would like to do another year at least. Do I just start with he purple book? or does he need another? Also, with Writing with Skill do I start with Level 1 even if he is going into 8th? I don't want to rush him but I do what to create a solid foundation for him to build on for high school.

Thank you

1 hour ago, Barefoothomeschooler said:

Hi!

I have been looking into Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind for my soon to be 8th grader. He has had some grammar up to this point but I would like to do another year at least. Do I just start with he purple book? or does he need another? Also, with Writing with Skill do I start with Level 1 even if he is going into 8th? I don't want to rush him but I do what to create a solid foundation for him to build on for high school.

Thank you

Wouldn't the Writing With Skill placement have to do with his previous instruction and not the "grade" he's "going into"?

• Like 1

GftWTM is designed to jump in with any of the books.  They build from the beginning each year and only the workbook exercises change.  So you use the same teacher guide each year.  So you need the purple student book & answer key, the teacher guide, and the grammar handbook.  Next year you will reuse the teacher book & handbook and replace the workbook & answer key with the next color (red).

My oldest two will be in 8th and 10th and are working through WWS 1 right now.  It's totally appropriate for an 8th grader.  

• Like 1