Menu

How much to tip? ( Wedding event delivery)

Tap

DDs wedding is this weekend. We are ordering from a local BBQ place off the catering menu and having it delivered only (not served). It is delivered in thick tin foil trays.   The company is charging us $25 for delivery (based on distance from the restaurant).  It is a local BBQ chain and the type of place where you walk in, order as you go through the line and then pay at the end of the line.  (Similar to Chipotle or Subway) But it also has more of a sit down restaurant feel since drippy BBQ isn't really easy to eat on the go.  We are getting 2 full sheets of meat, and 4 half sheets of sides, plus BBQ sauce, about $550 in total.

How much should I tip the driver?

Well, I was just in a similar situation with a catered meal, although a couple of hundred dollars less than your order.  Food was delivered, and I had to pay a delivery fee of $20 for that service.   The person just delivered the food, although he was very nice and professional.   I tipped him $20, which he didn't even want to take, probably because he was the owner of the restaurant.  I told him to take it back to his employees, and he seemed very appreciative of that.  I'm guessing that most people don't tip for the delivery, since they've already paid a delivery fee.  He seemed surprised that I offered a tip. 

I'm not keen on tipping everyone for everything, but I might give a little something in this case if it is not the owner. It's not expected, but  you tip the pizza guy on top of the delivery, so yeah. maybe.

How much would depend on how hot it was, how heavy the trays are and if they are manually carrying them vs having a cart or such, and how pleasant and professional the delivery person was. I wouldn't gauge it by the amount of your order, bc that would be quite the tip, lol. Probably $10-$20 and the offer of some cold drinks. That's at least $10-$20 per hour on top of what they are being paid already. 

• Like 1