Menu

Box checking, no computer Junior/ Senior year. Help?

This is for a friend. She pulled her son out of a bad school situation at the end of 8th grade. She's not able to help much with school, and had hoped to put him in a small "alternative school" in the fall for Junior year.  Alternative school said no.

Because of sneaking around and chats online with a scary girlfriend, computer usage is not an option. The boy tends to be a magnet to bad kids, although he's kind of geeky and naive.

I've suggested some open and go things for science (PAC, which I've seen review well for the purpose). He still needs Get er done Algebra 2, possibly English and World History. Secular if possible.

He might do community college eventually, but really isn't up to dual enrollment yet. Mom cannot help but she's willing to grade. They've tried tutors for math, but have had a lot of scheduling problems with the tutors and want something mostly independent.

TIA

2 hours ago, MamaSprout said:

This is for a friend. She pulled her son out of a bad school situation at the end of 8th grade. She's not able to help much with school, and had hoped to put him in a small "alternative school" in the fall for Junior year.  Alternative school said no.

Because of sneaking around and chats online with a scary girlfriend, computer usage is not an option. The boy tends to be a magnet to bad kids, although he's kind of geeky and naive.

I've suggested some open and go things for science (PAC, which I've seen review well for the purpose). He still needs Get er done Algebra 2, possibly English and World History. Secular if possible.

He might do community college eventually, but really isn't up to dual enrollment yet. Mom cannot help but she's willing to grade. They've tried tutors for math, but have had a lot of scheduling problems with the tutors and want something mostly independent.

TIA

He should be in public school. She should check for neighboring schools that will allow a transfer, or see about an in-district transfer, or, since it's been several years since the incident, check back to see what's changed at the local school.

I just thought somebody should say that. Having said that, here's my list of answers:

1. Teaching Textbooks Alg 2 - the computer is not necessary; the entire lesson is in the book. She would need to choose whether to let him work offline and use the 2.0 (self-grading) version, or grade it herself. 

2. English - Wordsmith and Wordsmith Craftsman

3. World History, Gov't and Econ (assuming he hasn't had these) - not remotely secular, not a worldview that is amenable to all, but suck it up and do Notgrass.

I hope she is doing something to address the issues. They won't go away just because he grows older; he'll have to learn to solve problems, choose friends wisely, be trustworthy, and become less naive (hopefully not the hard way)...I wish them both the best. It just sounds like he needs more of a team than Mom, and they both need more support.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tibbie Dunbar said:

He should be in public school. She should check for neighboring schools that will allow a transfer, or see about an in-district transfer, or, since it's been several years since the incident, check back to see what's changed at the local school.

No, he shouldn't.

Their district school is the rural poor kind with lots of Meth and other drug problems. He is adopted and possibly has some residual issues from his birth mother's drug and alcohol use.

Our state will not take a homeschool high school student after 9th grade.

It's really just internet use. They've tried to re-instate it several times. Yes, he needs to learn, but he also needs to get school done.

Geometry with was Teaching Textbooks with a tutor, which went really well, but he spent the whole year relearning Algebra 1 at the same time. He did Silicon Online for English with a C freshman year and a B+ this year. Home grown Astronomy and US History last year. Spanish is done. He did Duolingo with Silicon Valley and mom (she's proficient in Spanish.)

He did the Silicon Valley English mostly in 8 weeks (yes, including reading, he is a strong reader) because he has been pretending to do English and was chatting instead. I actually caught him when mom said, "I think he's still reading Don Quixote" and I knew that was a first semester book.

Mom is home, but she somehow only graduated with Prealgebra? I went to the same school, and at that time they did kind of just push people through.

7 hours ago, Tibbie Dunbar said:

1. Teaching Textbooks Alg 2 - the computer is not necessary; the entire lesson is in the book. She would need to choose whether to let him work offline and use the 2.0 (self-grading) version, or grade it herself. 

Maybe.

2. English - Wordsmith and Wordsmith Craftsman

I'll look at Craftsman. I taught Wordsmith at co-op, and I think he's beyond that. I thought Wordsmith was just okay, but it was mostly independent.

3. World History, Gov't and Econ (assuming he hasn't had these) - not remotely secular, not a worldview that is amenable to all, but suck it up and do Notgrass.

I'll look at Notgrass before I suggest it, but that seems to be odd advice to "suck it up" when it comes to worldview. Is Notgrass really that great? They go to church, but find most homeschool Christian products not be amenable, as you say.

I hope she is doing something to address the issues. They won't go away just because he grows older; he'll have to learn to solve problems, choose friends wisely, be trustworthy, and become less naive (hopefully not the hard way)...I wish them both the best. It just sounds like he needs more of a team than Mom, and they both need more support. They've spent many hours and lots of money working with professionals. I appreciate your concern. Both she and I have adult children... we get it. Just looking for curriculum suggestions here.

See above for my pre-coffee answers.

3 hours ago, MamaSprout said:

See above for my pre-coffee answers.

The reason for the suck it up advice is the format. If a person is behind on their education, has learning challenges, and whose education is being supervised by a parent who can't teach him, he must have clear, open and go materials if he is to school himself. Notgrass provides that. There are members of these forums who use Notgrass histories, govt, and Econ to fill a gap, when their child is refusing to be taught directly by them but will work independently. If your friends are churchgoers, the conservative, evangelical Christian slant might not bother them, or might be imperceptible to them. (A quick glance at the sample materials on the website would give all the info needed, to make that judgment.) The other reason I recommended that author/publisher is that you said you had recommended ACE, which is even farther right, more simplistic, and less secular-friendly than Notgrass! If your friend can swallow ACE, Notgrass will look downright scholarly.

Same for the Wordsmith series - not the top of the line for a neurotypical child being diligently and classically educated by college degreed parents at home, but if he's checking off a box (on his own), this is one way to do it. That's just for composition; he would still need literature and poetry and vocabulary study. If he's interested, I'd recommend old school textbooks - Scott Foresman's America Reads series. You can find American Lit, World Lit, and British Lit for less than $10 for the student book. Notes and very good questions and assignments are in the text.

23 minutes ago, Tibbie Dunbar said:

The reason for the suck it up advice is the format. If a person is behind on their education, has learning challenges, and whose education is being supervised by a parent who can't teach him, he must have clear, open and go materials if he is to school himself. Notgrass provides that. There are members of these forums who use Notgrass histories, govt, and Econ to fill a gap, when their child is refusing to be taught directly by them but will work independently. If your friends are churchgoers, the conservative, evangelical Christian slant might not bother them, or might be imperceptible to them. (A quick glance at the sample materials on the website would give all the info needed, to make that judgment.) The other reason I recommended that author/publisher is that you said you had recommended ACE, which is even farther right, more simplistic, and less secular-friendly than Notgrass! If your friend can swallow ACE, Notgrass will look downright scholarly.

Ah, confusion. I did NOT recommend ACE. I recommended PAC: https://www.rainbowresource.com/product/Integrated+Physics+and+Chemistry+Full+Course+Kit/003958

The secular is truly a request from them. They are bothered by curriculum with conservative evangelical slant it as they have tried Christian Homeschool products before. I did suggest they look at Notgrass carefully. 

"Suck it up" is rude. If you are being earnest, choose another phrase.

Same for the Wordsmith series - not the top of the line for a neurotypical child being diligently and classically educated by college degreed parents at home, but if he's checking off a box (on his own), this is one way to do it. That's just for composition; he would still need literature and poetry and vocabulary study. If he's interested, I'd recommend old school textbooks - Scott Foresman's America Reads series. You can find American Lit, World Lit, and British Lit for less than $10 for the student book. Notes and very good questions and assignments are in the text.

I like and own the America Reads series. England and Classics are very good, and American Lit is just good, but probably better than a modern text.

My post-coffee answers.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, MamaSprout said:

My post-coffee answers.

If I am being earnest?? What's the alternative, what else would I be? Do you think I'm just amusing myself, making recommendations for your friend, because I have nothing better to do...? Suck it up is not rude. People say it all the time, about their own decisions and compromises.

If people on these forums didn't care about the education of all children, we would not lend our time, experience, and expertise. It is hoped that the person receiving the free advice will just take what she needs, or use what is applicable, and disregard the rest.

Good luck to the young man. I hope he is able to finish his education. 

• Like 1

On 5/30/2018 at 7:55 PM, MamaSprout said:

TIA

Why not PAC for English and world history? They check the boxes, even if they aren't rigorous. He could do So Verbose for English, maybe. There are no online classes, the teacher emails the assignments weekly and the student emails the completed one back. Mom could print the lesson and email the teacher so he doesn't do anything online.

Math Relief has been good for my "git 'er done" kid. They have DVDs and worksheets, but the DVDs could be watched on a TV if using a computer is an issue.