Menu

How To Use History of The World curriculum?

We just finished Story of The World - loved it! If I purchase History of The World, will we be going over the same information we learned in Story of The World, just on a deeper level (more critical thinking?) Please explain how a lesson would go if we purchase this curriculum. Thank you! Thank you!!

If you mean Susan Wise Bauer's History of the Ancient World, History of the Medieval World, and History of the Renaissance World, those books are very definitely advanced high school level - adult material. I personally wouldn't use them right after Story of the World, I'd look for something meant more for middle school age and save those for later on in high school.

• Like 4

On 5/30/2018 at 8:33 PM, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

We use History of the World for high school.

We use Greenleaf Guides Famous Men of Greece/Rome/Middle Ages/Renaissance after Story of the World.

On 5/31/2018 at 11:39 AM, EKS said:

If you're looking for a solid middle school history resource, I highly recommend K12's Human Odyssey series.

Besides the text, what additional materials are needed for this curriculum? Where can I purchase them? Not sure if we need to be enrolled in K12 to get the materials. Hope not. It really looks like something we would like. Thanks much.

40 minutes ago, letscutitout said:

Besides the text, what additional materials are needed for this curriculum? Where can I purchase them? Not sure if we need to be enrolled in K12 to get the materials. Hope not. It really looks like something we would like. Thanks much.

You can get the texts on Amazon used.  If you want the stuff K12 does with it, you need to sign up for the courses.  I just used the books and then had my kids write about what was important or interesting.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, EKS said:

You can get the texts on Amazon used.  If you want the stuff K12 does with it, you need to sign up for the courses.  I just used the books and then had my kids write about what was important or interesting.

Us too! We loved the K12 books and didn't buy anything but the texts used on amazon.

We continued to follow The Well Trained Mind's other history suggestions after 4 years of Story of the World. So for middle school (logic stage in the book,) we used the logic stage history suggestions to the T. Then for high school we have done the same. That is when we use the History of the Ancient World and so on. My 10th grader has been reading through the History of the Medieval World all year, taking notes on each chapter, choosing a topic for further research twice during the year and doing a larger paper on them, plus we have added in many hands on projects this year, incorporating history into art and other subjects, making it kind of a unit study for our year. Her readings for literature have been around the Great Books from that time period. She researches the context of each book before she reads it, reads from The Well Educated Mind on the genre of literature, and makes a history context paper for her history notebook. So the History of the ... World, the context pages on literature, the literature itself, the hands on projects for art (learning calligraphy, creating our own illuminated manuscripts, buidling a giant castle, etc.) all tie together for history ala WTM. We also read art history books long the times periods and go to exhibits, festivals, musuems, and anything else we find that fits in with history each year. 

6 hours ago, 2_girls_mommy said:

We continued to follow The Well Trained Mind's other history suggestions after 4 years of Story of the World. So for middle school (logic stage in the book,) we used the logic stage history suggestions to the T. Then for high school we have done the same. That is when we use the History of the Ancient World and so on. My 10th grader has been reading through the History of the Medieval World all year, taking notes on each chapter, choosing a topic for further research twice during the year and doing a larger paper on them, plus we have added in many hands on projects this year, incorporating history into art and other subjects, making it kind of a unit study for our year. Her readings for literature have been around the Great Books from that time period. She researches the context of each book before she reads it, reads from The Well Educated Mind on the genre of literature, and makes a history context paper for her history notebook. So the History of the ... World, the context pages on literature, the literature itself, the hands on projects for art (learning calligraphy, creating our own illuminated manuscripts, buidling a giant castle, etc.) all tie together for history ala WTM. We also read art history books long the times periods and go to exhibits, festivals, musuems, and anything else we find that fits in with history each year. 

I just ordered and received The History of the World Ancient + Workbook for my rising 9th grader. It looks a bit overwhelming. There are 87 chapters. I assume it is meant to be completed in a year. How did you divide it into a 36 week school year? Assigning 2 chapters a week (plus!) seems like an extremely rapid pace, even for an adult.

3 hours ago, AFI said:

I just ordered and received The History of the World Ancient + Workbook for my rising 9th grader. It looks a bit overwhelming. There are 87 chapters. I assume it is meant to be completed in a year. How did you divide it into a 36 week school year? Assigning 2 chapters a week (plus!) seems like an extremely rapid pace, even for an adult.

The chapters aren't that long for a good reader, so two a week isn't bad. My dd reads one chapter in a sitting on the days she reads from that book for history. She could easily read 3 chapters a week with notes and discussions, especially if that was our only history. I daresay we could do four some weeks. BUT I will say, I don't schedule things out into 36 week school years. It has never been my way. We aim to finish it in a year. I don't schedule readings. Now it is June. She is more than halfway through The History of the Medieval World book. Our goal is to get through it and start The Renaissance World in the Fall. So she reads a couple of chapters whenever she can over the summer, with no real notes, just reading. Then when camps are all done and we are home in August, we will really focus on finishing it up for the year with little paper work, then start the new book fresh in Sept. We do a lot of written work, projects, outside readings, plays, etc. etc. during the school year. So history of medieval world was thoroughly covered. Once we start the new book we will set our goals for the next couple of months- 1 research paper (how long, how many books, what format, etc,) due by Christmas, which literature books she needs to read for the semester, etc. And she will go back to taking notes for each chapter and doing context papers on the lit. books and a research paper.  I am too free flowing for a syllabus of reading. I just want them to read and learn, not finish a book if that make sense.