Menu

SWR and AAS

Lori

There are some similarities, but what AAS lacks is the *writing.* One of the important features of SWR (and its parent, Spalding) is the *writing.* Most children benefit from *feeling* the phonograms and words they are writing as well as seeing and hearing them.

can someone tell me if these are similiar programs. I have used SWR but I have never used AAS

I would like to know if they are different what are their differences?

Also what level or grade does AAS go up to ?

thanks

Also AAS uses word families, and doesn't follow the Y rule that SWR does, but instead teaches that it says /E/. It has "Jail Breakers" that don't follow the rules, through it also works with the thinking to spell concept. AAS is scripted so the parent doesn't have to learn it before they teach it, and AAS uses spelling tiles. Though to be honest I use tiles with SWR because I have hands on learners. I know Wanda is big on writing it out, but 3 of the major Dyslexic spelling/reading programs (Barton Reading, Wilson Reading and AAS) out there use tiles, so I am comfortable with it.

Those are the differences I know of from talking with a friend. There may be more. But both do follow the same basic phonograms and spelling rules.

Heather

Edited by siloam

it's scripted, incorporates visual, auditory and kinesthetic methods, teaches clear spelling rules and incorporates the phonograms in a manner similar to SWR. In contrast, I found SWR to be very difficult and time consuming to use.

SWR is designed to be an integrated program, teaching spelling, reading writing and spelling at the same time, as the name implies. For ds 9, this approach was a very poor fit. He was ready to learn to read before he was ready to learn to write and spell. In his case, these skills were best taught sequentially, rather than as an integrated skill set.

points out is a HUGE difference in viewpoint between the two programs. SWR specifically takes pains to avoid the word family approach, and I've come to agree with their thinking. (I have the full SWR program and AAS levels 1 and 2.)

AAS is very easy to use though! However, it does seem to me that their words are a bit below grade level. But you could move as quickly as you wanted through the levels, I guess.

At this point I know enough about SWR that I just use my own hodge-podge of it plus other things I've picked up, and I am using the AAS tiles right now with my youngest. Both my kids are natural spellers though-pick it up through osmosis from reading- and so am I, so we're not really the ones to ask!

I have not used SWR, but I have used AAS. AAS is strickly spelling (phonics). One of my twins has finished level 1 and just started level 2. The other is still working through level 1.

I am curious how you are defining "word families". I ask because my understanding is that word families would always have the same endings (cat, hat, mat, pat, sat, etc.). My experience with AAS is that a rule (or sound) is taught and the words that apply to the rule (and some that break the rule) are introduced. However, stict word families are not.

My twin daughter who is still in level 1 has some visual processing issues and struggles with phonics and spelling. AAS has slowly helped her make some progress in spelling. I have two children who stuggle with spelling and two that don't. I feel like I have been round and round this spelling issue a lot over the past 9 years.

At this point I know enough about SWR that I just use my own hodge-podge of it plus other things I've picked up, and I am using the AAS tiles right now with my youngest. Both my kids are natural spellers though-pick it up through osmosis from reading- and so am I, so we're not really the ones to ask!

You aren't the only one. I don't use SWR as prescribed. By the time you eliminate the finger spelling, the log, add the tiles...well I do use the phonograms, spelling rule cards and the spelling lists. :D Oh well, if it works it works!

Heather

I am curious how you are defining "word families". I ask because my understanding is that word families would always have the same endings (cat, hat, mat, pat, sat, etc.). My experience with AAS is that a rule (or sound) is taught and the words that apply to the rule (and some that break the rule) are introduced. However, stict word families are not.

When you look at SWR and AAS, SWR will not have any words with the same endings in one spelling list ON PURPOSE.

Here is first 10 words off of the spelling list they have as a sample on the SWR yahoo group:

man

boy

book

dog

home

school

street

mother

time

hand

While I don't have AAS here is the sample I found online. While not having the same ending they are all working with the same "K" sound.

can

camp

cut

kept

kid

cash

kit

cup

club

cap

Hope that clears it up.

Heather

Here's an FAQ on SWR vs. AAS, from the AAS site.

The levels are not grade levels. By the time a student gets through level 6 (which I think is due out this summer, but I don't know if that's a firm date), they will be spelling at a highschool level.

AAS does use lists where words follow the phonogram being learned, but not true word families. And after two or more phonograms that use the same sound are learned, AAS will then mix up the words so kids have to remember which is which (as in the K vs. C example Heather posted). The program does this more and more as time goes on.

Plus words are mixed even more in the dictation phrases and sentences--the child can't just learn a pattern and then do well in these because they are reviewing previously learned words/patterns as well.

I only know AAS as the learning curve for SWR always led me to choose other things, but hopefully that helps since you know SWR!

Merry :-)

Heather,

Interesting! I am not familiar with the SWR approach, but it does seem it would be rather confusing for spelling purposes especially for a child with phonics and language issues.

Thank you for sharing the list from SWR. I am familiar with AAS. I would not call them word families. It really is a different animal.

Jennie

Heather,

Interesting! I am not familiar with the SWR approach, but it does seem it would be rather confusing for spelling purposes especially for a child with phonics and language issues.

Thank you for sharing the list from SWR. I am familiar with AAS. I would not call them word families. It really is a different animal.

Jennie

Actually, SWR's method does remarkably well with children who have learning issues of all kind.

Jeannie,

The author of SWR had dyslexic sons, so she is very familiar with learning disabilities. In the end I think it would depend on the child, and how you used the program.

For instance I came to SWR because my 2nd dd, Pumpkin refused to guess at phonetic sounds. It was very frustrating because she could spell very well but turn it around and do it the other way and she refused to sound out a letter unless she knew the sound cold. Thus SWR was a great fit. It drills the letter sounds and it works on reading by first spelling.

That said I still use SL, which is a word family methods, for my learn to read program, and they schedule to Pre-ETC and ETC books in their program as well. In my mind it is more rewarding to learn a little, then read a little rather than the SWR method where they do spelling till one day reading "clicks" and suddenly they can read real books. Because I use another program to learn to read I don't start SWR spelling till 2nd or 3rd grade. Before that I do work on the first 26 phonograms sounds as part of teaching writing, so by the time they start spelling they are familiar with all the sounds they will be using.

Generally what it looks like here: My 5yo ds is doing LA K right now, but all last year to prep him for LA K I had him covered the first 26 phonograms by having him writing the letters in sand while saying their sound(s). My 7yo is doing LA 1 and her reading is up to the level 2 books, so I just started her doing the SWR spelling. Earlier she had also coverd the first 26 phonograms and knows those well, so now she is getting to know the rest. At the beginning of the week she listens to the CD while tracing the letters and repeating their sounds, the next day we go through the whole stack of 70 phonograms together, and I set aside any she doesn't remember, then the rest of the week we only cover the ones she didn't remember. Because I don't use SWR as prescribed from there we cover 10 words a day. If she gets them wrong we mark them up, and discuss any rules that apply, then continue to cover the word to mastery. Any words she spells right the first time we drop and don't cover any more. My 9yo has the phonograms memorized, so she does the same 10 words a day, and is working on memorizing the spelling rules, which is the same spot my 10 yo is in.

If you use SWR as it is supposed to be used you start out the week dictating 5-20 words to them (you judge based on the child's ability), which they enter into their log. That includes prompts to fill out "rule" pages and enter certain words under those rule, so you still have a cohesive reference. At that time they "mark up the words" to show the different sounds. During the week the child does various activities with those words, then on the last day of the week you do a final test on the words to make sure they were mastered. Given my oldest is especially good at spelling I didn't want to work with words she knew so much, so I have modified it to target the words my children don't know and just do extra work with those.

To be totally transparent if I had the money I would probably use Barton Reading, because the sample video explained things about syllables that just had never clicked for me before. But SWR costs about $100 vs. roughly $3000 for all the levels of Barton's. :001_huh: SWR is working and meeting out needs (my dyslexic daughter reads above grade level and spells above grade level), so I can't justify the additional cost.

Anyway, if you want a learn to read program as well as a spelling program I think AAS would be a better choice. When my oldest was doing SL spelling, which works on world families, she almost never got any wrong because she always got the pattern right off. For her I think SWR is a better test of her spelling ability. That said if they had a level of AAS that would meet my oldest dd's needs while I was learning SWR (and wanted to toss it weekly) then I would have used it instead regardless of how the spelling words were arranged. ;) Even now if I wanted to switch I could only switch my youngest two because my oldest two would test out of AAS.

I would agree with you that if you had a 5yo and were throwing all 70 phonograms, all the spelling rules and spelling lists at them at once that it would be way too much, and too confusing. That would be the wrong way to go about it, and I don't see it working. Because SWR is more open and not scripted you have a bigger chance of someone doing just that. :eek: Those who ask questions on the SWR group find people who know the program take a more gradual approach starting with the first 26 and using the game package.

Heather