Menu

Another math post!

countrymum

Hi all, 

I am still thinking about mathematics. My students are going into K (or perhaps 1st) and 2nd. I was always good at math but thought it was boring and pointless. I can see that happening to my kids too. Are there any curriculums, supplements, teaching styles, ect that would help math be more interesting or relevant? I have some ideas but I want to hear what you all think. Thanks

We really like Rightstart. That said, I always thought math was amazingly cool and picked Rightstart because of its fabulous presentation, so I don't know whether it would help your problem.

What curriculum have you been using?

ETA: Oh, have a look at Moebius Noodles too!

• Like 1

I think interesting and relevant are important but often found in completely different ways.  On the interesting side of the spectrum I’d put RightStart and Beast Academy - both touch on ideas of “higher” and discrete maths earlier while still being age appropriate.  They are solid maths! RS is more step by step, BA is better for the math intuitive.  One the relevant side of the spectrum I’m not even sure what’s out there right now.  Relevant, at least obviously so as in applied math, seems so boring to me, tbh. But somewhere in the middle i think you’ll find Singapore PM and MEP.  Both have lots of word problems and puzzles, but also lots of practical problems as well. And both are solid math as well.

One other idea for increasing interest and creativity in math is to separately work on math in a math circle, with games, and with puzzles/logic problems.  All of the curricula I mentioned have these to one extent or another.

Ah! The Penrose post made me realize I skipped over supplemental resources:

Sir Cumference book series, Penrose Books, Let’s Play Math (book and blog), Moebius Noodles book, Bright .Brave Open Minds book, Natural Math website courses and books, Family Math books, Donald in Mathmagicland movie, Tiny Polka Dot Game, Prime Climb Game...  there are so many good games and books out there! Some others are better for older students. Have so much fun!

Look for math written by people passionate about math.  It's not a subject I feel comfortable buying from a publisher that does "all-in-one" grade level boxes or tries to supply everything for a year's worth of school.  They do it, but if the math is put out by the same people who do your language arts, science, history, music.... I wouldn't think they'd transfer the beauty and challenge of math over well.  The technical, yes.  The puzzle-y love? No. 

BTW, my kids always loved Donald In Mathemagic Land at that age. ?  It's on youtube, I think, if your library doesn't have a copy.

We used abeka last year and some CLE and RightStart before that. I really like Rightstart; its how I think. Somehow I worry that its too "weird" or something.

I do love math now, but it wasn't till my Jr year of college that I discovered I liked it. It was a math methods for teachers and a PreCalculus class that did it. Both great teachers passionate about math;)

I see homeagain's point about written by someone who loves it. Other than RightStart which programs fall into that category?

Perhaps I should just go with RightStart and not worry so much...

7 minutes ago, countrymum said:

I see homeagain's point about written by someone who loves it. Other than RightStart which programs fall into that category?

My picks:
Montessori-based (Shiller is a big one)
Right Start
Life of Fred
Math U See
Education Unboxed
Miquon
Gattegno
Singapore
Making Math Meaningful

I'm sure there are others, I just can't think of them off the top of my head.  These are all ones where the love of what they're doing spills out.  You can just look at a lesson and see they really are excited about the discovery process.  Math U See helped my oldest because Mr. Demme appeared kind and patient and helped him to see the how and why behind equations.  My youngest splits his day between a lesson in Right Start, math games, and a chapter of Life Of Fred.  He likes playing with the math in RS and applying the strategy in games, but seeing how Fred uses things makes him think.  They complement each other well.

If you like Right Start, and if your kids enjoy it, keep it.  That doesn't mean you can't mix it up a little, too, especially on the hard days. ?  We keep a set of c-rods on hand because my kid likes them better than some of Right Start's tools, and they seem more....malleable isn't quite the right word, but my kid liked to use them to build and play with math more on his own, enhancing the discovery approach.