Menu

Online Middle School Literature

flor

Any online literature classes you'd recommend for a young middle schooler? I'm looking for a class this fall in which they'd discuss some quality books and write some about them. Reading is not my dc favorite subject, but I believe dc enjoys good books and having friends to discuss them with would be great.  

Thoughts? Any recommendations? Please let me know. Thanks.

Just now, Roadrunner said:

I am shaking a little when I see Sacha's next year lineup. ? That's really brave!

We may crash and burn completely. We both always bite off more than we can chew.

Just curious, though, what part of it seems most insane to you? 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SeaConquest said:

We may crash and burn completely. We both always bite off more than we can chew.

Just curious, though, what part of it seems most insane to you? 

It's a lot (two math programs intended each for a year, double on lit, three foreign languages). Maybe my kid is too slow. Your signature is the inspiration for us to keep our lineup, which I was so very close to slashing. ? Now I am committed to at least try and burn. ? 

And to OP, in addition to what was mentioned, check out WTMA courses as well. 

• Like 1

Just now, Roadrunner said:

It's a lot (two math programs intended each for a year, double on lit, three foreign languages). Maybe my kid is too slow. Your signature is the inspiration for us to keep our lineup, which I was so very close to slashing. ? Now I am committed to at least try and burn. ? 

And to OP, in addition to what was mentioned, check out WTMA courses as well. 

In reality, it's not as much as it looks. The Algebra is just to prep for possibly attending Epsilon Camp, so it's likely going to be pretty casual (probably one day/week with me or maybe Thinkwell/CTY if a scholarship comes through). He will follow up with AoPS Algebra the following year, so it's not like we plan to head to Geometry next. He just needs to pass the Algebra assessment. Re the lit, Sacha likes to read, and I don't have time with nursing school to talk about books, so the lit is just to have someone to talk with about the books. The writing/output is minimal. The Latin is the only legit course happening with the languages. Spanish he does once per week at his charter school (and they may not offer it next year -- still TBD), and periodically the French with Duolingo and a friend of his (Jackie's daughter) play games in French. He still sucks in both languages. He is marginally better in Latin.

I am mostly concerned with the output in the CLRC Middle School Ancient History and the AIM High School biology classes, since those are massive unknowns and likely to be a stretch for him. Those could end badly. ?

• Like 1