Menu

Math Lessons for a Living Education

10 hours ago, Insertcreativenamehere said:

I used it for 1/2 of this school year for grades 2 and 5. I did not feel it was enough. It is very gentle but perhaps too gentle for us. I do plan to use it as summer math for review. 

That's a good idea.

My daughter is finishing up MLFLE Level 6 and I am very disappointed to say that she is not prepared for any 7th grade math course that I've looked at.  I'm so frustrated, I feel like we wasted the year. Some background, I started my kids in RS for the early years then Singapore from grades 2 and up.  Last year for 5th grade my DD was very ill and the year was basically a wash.  I started her this year in Math Mammoth 6 for a more thorough approach but it was too hard.  I switched her to MLFLE at the end of September and she has had a great, successful year with it.  However, she is not prepared for anything I can find for 7th grade.  Horizons, CLE, Singapore Dimensions, Math In Focus, Math Mammoth...you name it. In all of these programs, she would place into the 6th grade level. In Saxon she would be 7/6 which is 6th grade. They all expect that the child has been practicing some pre-algebra concepts and is familiar with things like solving for y, simplifying equations, integers, negative numbers, exponents.  MLFLE has NONE of that until the very end of the book (like two lessons) and there is a disclaimer that it is information that is typically more advanced than 6th grade level.  Ummmmm...well if that is the case, why does every other program I've looked at assume the child has done it all through 6th grade? 

All that to say, no, MLFLE was not enough.  ?