Menu

Correcting spelling in a child's writing assignment

Kendall

What are your thoughts about correcting a child's spelling in their writing assignments? I would like to be able to share opinions other than my own with someone. This is a second grader who has not yet done a spelling program.  My approach is casual. I might (or might not depending on the level of the word) show them the correct spelling. I wouldn't have them rewrite and correct it. If it is a spelling word that we have done or is at their "level" then I would add it to their spelling list to do during spelling time.  I want my kids to write what their brain has in it and not just what their mind can spell correctly and I explain this to them. But this is just my opinion and maybe not many would agree with it. Some of my children have wanted to spell everything correctly and if I am around at the time I will write words down for them or spell them aloud, but I encourage them to just do the best they can and not worry about it.

I believe in correcting spelling, and I don't believe in second grader's having much in the way of writing assignments, unless it's handwriting practice.  That said, you have to go with what works for your kid.  My kid is a natural speller, and very visual, so if she sees a word spelled wrong, she might remember it that way, and we don't want that.  Also, she hates composition, and I don't think it's developmentally appropriate for a second grader.

• Like 1

I think I typed most of my 2nd graders writing (retellings of fables though maybe I didn't start that until 3rd), but I have had two girls who write and write and write stories at that age.  I will share with this person your thoughts on no assigned writing for 2nd, which I agree is perfectly fine and for most kids best.

I spend a lot of time acting as scribe for my second grader so spelling is not typically a concern for her writing. If we’re talking copywork then I do require correct spelling. If it’s something the child has written on their own, then I do not tend to correct their spelling because I’m more concerned with not discouraging their writer’s voice. It’s second grade, spelling and other mechanics skills will catch up.

If it's a writing *assignment,* then yes, you correct the spelling. In a writing assignment, everything counts.

If it's things the child is writing on his own, then no, you don't correct the spelling, although later, during Official School Time, you might want to address the words misspelled.

OTOH, I also am not a fan of giving 7yo children writing assignments. Copywork and dictation, where you would tell him how the words are spelled if necessary, would be the most I could do with a 7yo.

• Like 1

What’s your goal with the assignment? What is your child’s Goal? Did you explain you expect correct spelling? Did the child want to know the correct spelling?

Around here I correct spelling in copywork (because they have the model there it is a matter of attending to detail), and of course spelling assignments.  In writing assignments I am judicious about what things I might point out. For a 2nd grader I probably won’t point out anything, unless it’s their own name or something else I know was a mistake from rushing. They are still learning how to communicate ideas, and when the point is the idea I don’t critique handwriting and spelling, and I don’t give a lot of writing for a second grader anyway.  There’s more discussion, activities, and me scribing for them if necessary.  I do not correct their spelling in content areas until they are older (10 or 12).

ETA I like doing a spelling program with them at that age. We only do a couple years, but even that gives them a better awareness the importance and the process of correct spelling.  I  was always a poor speller, and it significantly curbed my writing in high school, out of embarrassment.  I was taught to read using whole language, and not only did it hamper my spelling but also my reading speed.  

I wouldn't correct the personal writing of a 2nd grader. I also don't correct journal entries (even if the journal writing is an assignment).

I do correct spelling errors in regular writing assignments, but we do that at the very end before they write out their final draft. So first I spend a lot of time talking about the ideas in their writing and gently guiding them to revise the ideas. After any revisions are done, I let them check for spelling errors with a dictionary. I only go through to check for spelling errors at the very end to catch any misspelled words they might have missed. I don't start having my kids do single draft writing (written narration, outline, essay answer) until 4th or 5th grade. At that point, I will correct any spelling errors.  

My highly-verbal, highly-visual learner wrote prolifically when she was little, and she did adopt a few weird misspellings from reading things wrong in her own writing. For the longest time she always wrote "-eng" at the ends of words instead of "-ing". For example: "walkeng" instead of "walking". Drove me bonkers! She figured it out eventually through a combination of spelling instruction and seeing the correct spellings repeatedly when she read. She's now a teenager and a very talented writer, so I'm glad I didn't do anything to discourage her when she was little and excited about writing.

• Like 1