Menu

Articulation issues (among other things) in 6yr old (cross-posted)

My just-turned-six year old had his 3yr reevaluation for speech therapy services through the local public school (he's not enrolled, just gets services). He tested average to very above average for everything except articulation (>2 st devs below the mean), which is exactly what we expected. He was recommended to continue services 2x/week next school year.

My question is, what can I do at home to support the speech therapy he receives at the school? The therapist gives us word lists to practice, but I've seen people mention apps/games for articulation.

Also, the therapist mentioned that my son isn't getting the most out of his therapy sessions because he doesn't interact with the one or two other children in the group. He wants to tell you about what he's been working on at home and he *refuses* to be redirected to another topic until he's finished. Essentially, he doesn't want to talk to the other kids because they aren't interested in what he's talking about and he's not interested in what they are talking about. The therapist said that this was a skill that DS should have developed before turning 5 (he just turned 6 last week). The therapist seemed very concerned.

This is DS's personality in ALL situations. He can be rigid in his behaviors, but is significantly more flexible than when he was younger. I'm not sure how I can help him to outgrow this personally quirk, to more easily and naturally interact with other children. He's home with me, DS9, DS3, and DS1 all day. I try to get them to some homeschool and/or library activities when I can, but there aren't a lot of homeschoolers in my area. Is this something I should stress out about, or would you just focus on the articulation issues and give him more time to develop the interpersonal skills?

Or, should I totally freak out and enroll him in the public school? Gah! I hate second guessing myself...

Okay, so I am an autism parent, but I would ask the speech therapist the next time you go in, if she has concerns about the autism spectrum.

If that is why she is concerned, this isn’t a public school or home school thing.  Kids that go to childcare and public school have the same issues.  

I think ask her, see what she says.  

To me — this is how her comments come across.

But I am an autism parent so that is where my mind goes!!!!!!

Also she might not be allowed (or something) to say too much of an opinion, because it is not her field or role to say “oh I think autism.”  But at the same time she might say things she sees or she might say something like “you might want to look into it more.”  

Also I think it’s possible too he just doesn’t hit it off with these particular kids.

Thanks for you insight.

I did consider having him evaluated when he was younger. He had lots of sensory issues at the time (wouldn't wear certain clothes or colors, was very rigid in schedules and routines, etc.), but he's outgrown all of that now. I will do some research and speak to the SLP next week.

• Like 1

Do you have insurance that would cover speech therapy in addition to what you are getting in the school? IF you could find a speach therapist that works on function and mouth formation you are going to get farther than just the simple group articulation therapy he is currently receiving. 

I have a few questions that might help on what I would recommend. First did he nurse or bottle feed? Any issues there with sucking , swallowing, latching? My son could not pronounce the R letters ( there are over 21 combinations of ways to form your mouth for that) and he was a very poor nurser. It turns out he had a retained reflex called "tounge jaw disassociation" Its where when you go to move your tounge the jaw drops with it so when he would try to control the jaw and the tounge his R would not go together. 

I personally really like having him practace his speech with a headset called "forbrain" you can find discount codes but it provides extra feedback. 

My other daughter couldn't pronounce R but it turns out she was toungue tied and even though she was a great nurser the pediatrician never did anything about it. SLP's never recommend surgery for this if it isn't caught young but my daughter had to get her tonsils out at 11 and we did the tongue thing at the same time. Problem fixed she didn't need anymore speech therapy after that. 

OK now for the kid and teacher interaction. He hasn't had a lot of practace has he? Preschool , Church sunday school, things like that? If not start there and try to figure out ways to help him socialize and work on interaction and turn taking. Those are learned skills. 

Retained reflexes are always worth checking and a conversation with the pediatrician at the next well check to make sure that he doesn't need other evals would be helpful. 

look into fish oil, lecithan and some of the other very positive nutrition aspects because they can often be a good thing. 

• Like 1

DS6 was tongue and lip tied, but we didn't notice until he was 2. He was a fabulous nurser, so I never bothered to check for ties until little brother was born and couldn't nurse. Had his ties lasered by 2.5yrs old, but he had been talking for since forever at that point. I'll look into insurance and private SLPs. Thanks!

interesting I would film him saying some R words Start with a leading R like Rabbit and then try something with like Bear

watch and see how wide he drops his mouth open on the film and if it moves to one side. This is what my son did when he first started out. He was trying to get the R but dropping his jaw way to far and his mouth would go with it. There are good and bad SLP's but all have some good ideas. Unfortunately the R is the hardest sound and develops late. He would benefit from an independent assessment and assistance. Can her cooperate and work one on one with an SLP? He would get far more from that.