Menu

iTunes

Night Elf

I have an old iTunes account and never put iTunes on my new computer. I have an iPhone. In the music section of my phone, it shows all my songs in my iTunes library. I want to view that library on my laptop. I downloaded iTunes and after 4 tries, finally got it on my computer. However, it's not showing me my library which I'm assuming means it's not on my computer. Makes sense. However, shouldn't there be a way for me to access my iTunes account and see the songs I've purchased and download them so they show in "My Music" when I open iTunes? I see a sign-in for the iTunes store and I'm entering in my apple ID and password but nothing is happening. I see a link to look at my account and when I click on it and enter my sign-in information, nothing happens. The account doesn't open. 

Any ideas?

If your device isn't connected to the computer, ITunes will only show you music you purchased through ITunes (nothing downloaded from CD's or other methods), and possibly only that stuff you purchased relatively recently before any upgrades to the software.   Once you connect your device, it should come up at the top of the menu list on the left and if you click on it, should show all the music you have loaded.

Once you do that, your computer should have a My Music folder with an ITunes subfolder where your music will be located.  I think it's created automatically but if not you should be able to drag the music from your phone to the proper subfolders.

Be warned, if your phone is an older one, when you first connect and iTunes opens it may prompt you to update the software.  If you have music from non ITunes sources or ones that you purchased a really long time ago, or your device is particularly old, you could lose some songs with an update.  I've also known people to have their devices stop working completely if they are really really old (we have some 15+ year old iPods around our house).

ETA:  double-check your sign in information.   I've had iTunes refuse to accept my sign-in a few times even though I knew it was right.  I had to reset the password and received the lovely - you can not use the same password again - even though it had just told me that wasn't my password.  :-/

I can't even sign into my iTunes account. At least when I try it doesn't show me any information. I can sign into my Apple account using my Apple ID, but not my iTunes account. I'm using my Apple ID and I know I have the password right because I'm able to buy apps on my iPhone. I also can't find a place to reset the iTunes password, only the Apple password which is different.

All the songs on my phone are from years ago so I was thinking my iTunes library just didn't exist anymore but then how did this music get onto my phone in the first place?

When I go to iTunes, it asked me to sign in with my Apple Id and password.   There is a button that asks if I forgot either one. 

I used to sign in with my AOL account but they definitely changed it somewhere along the line so I had to set up a separate Apple account.  I don't have any Apple devices except iPods so iTunes is the only place I use it.   I do remember it being a royal PITA at one point, and I think I had to Google about how to update things.

I found this wiki about itunes/apple passwords.  It seems to be a problem for a lot of people: https://www.wikihow.com/Change-Your-iTunes-Password

1 hour ago, Night Elf said:

I can't even sign into my iTunes account. At least when I try it doesn't show me any information. I can sign into my Apple account using my Apple ID, but not my iTunes account. I'm using my Apple ID and I know I have the password right because I'm able to buy apps on my iPhone. I also can't find a place to reset the iTunes password, only the Apple password which is different.

All the songs on my phone are from years ago so I was thinking my iTunes library just didn't exist anymore but then how did this music get onto my phone in the first place?

Your Apple password should be for all things Apple. So, whatever you use to sign in to buy Apps, you would now use in iTunes.

2 hours ago, scholastica said:

Your Apple password should be for all things Apple. So, whatever you use to sign in to buy Apps, you would now use in iTunes.

No, neither works. I also have the Apple ID verification code where it sends a code to my phone. It says to type my password and then the code into the password field. That doesn't work either.