Menu

LA & Reading...Where to go next?

Williams1956

We're nearing the end of Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reaching. Ds7 does pretty well, but consistently needs review. Where do we go from here? I like the Sonlight and Mensa reading lists, do we just read lots and lots of books? Should we do something like Logic of English or is that repetitive? Move on to Wise Owl Polysyllables?

For the rest of LA, we currently use First Language Lessons for grammar and like it. We started Spelling Workout, but we both ended up hating it and quit spelling altogether. He resists writing, so we're building up copywork and using some HWT.

What would you suggest for LA following OPGTR and FLL? I don't want to feel like I'm leaving any gaps. I can't seem to make a decision. I did the same thing last year picking math. With so many options, I got stuck.

What level of FLL did you complete? There are 4 levels. If it’s working I would stick with that for grammar. 

I add WWE in 2nd grade starting with Level 1. We’ve liked that program  

We use All About Spelling. I like how it teaches rules. 

Then we do copy work for handwriting. 

• Like 1

We moved on to regular books, just picking whatever and reviewing as necessary.  However, 3 years later I found that using a reader wasn't a bad option, either.  We settled on the Elson readers because they had a variety of pieces in each one.

For the rest of LA, we do ELTL which satisfies the need for copywork, grammar, and exposure to good lit/poetry.  Since he uses the Elson reader I don't bother often with the short stories in it, and we do our own dictation.  I like it - especially since we were doing the same thing last year without the guide but picking our own books/copywork/poetry/etc. It was a natural skip into the program.

• Like 1

Read a lot, and do a phonics based spelling. This will help develop his reading. LoE Essentials won’t be repetitive for a 7 yo. I used it for spelling with kids 6, 8, 10.  Spelling and decoding are related so that they reinforce each other. Another option would be Explode the Code workbooks (I don’t recommend the online version).

I am a “better late than early” person WRT grammar so we forgo FLL.  There is grammar in LoE, not too much but I think age appropriate for 2nd grade. 

• Like 1

I think using logic of English would be too repetitive.

After the 4 levels of FLL, the other choices are Analytical grammer, Shurley grammer, growing with grammer, etc.

There are a ton of spelling choices, Rod and Staff has one, All about spelling, Spelling Wisdom, sequential spelling, etc.

I would have him read aloud.  Lots of good readers from the library.  I like AAR readers.

Explode the code is a good program. 

Cathy Duffy's site has a lot of good recommendations. I sometimes refer to it.  :)  Hope this helps.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lexi said:

What level of FLL did you complete? There are 4 levels. If it’s working I would stick with that for grammar. 

I add WWE in 2nd grade starting with Level 1. We’ve liked that program  

We use All About Spelling. I like how it teaches rules. 

Then we do copy work for handwriting. 

We are nearing the end of FLL 1 and it is working well for us. So I think I will stick with it moving forward. Thanks!