Menu

Math Mammoth 7: So Many Pages!

JumpyTheFrog

This year I have timed the spent on each subject. DS1 has spent 96 hours on math (not all on Math Mammoth) and is finally taking the last test for 7A. That means he's done 228 pages out of 519 pages of MM7. MM6, in comparison, only had 367 pages in the worktext. How is anyone supposed to get through so many pages in one school year? 

• Like 1

Well, I can tell you that we aren't going to make it! I'm making high frequency oscillations between despair - "We are just going to have to do this again until we can do it correctly AND quickly! Sob." and irrational optimism - "There are 20 hours available this summer, we'll just zip through the rest and keep moving! <sparklng smile>"

I schedule an hour a day for math which means we've done about 150 hours of math, and we're about a third of the way through 7b. I heavily edit the number of problems that need to be done looking for the balance between comprehension and progress.

In August I'm thinking I will give a few placement tests to see where we are at and then go from there. Repeat prealgebra if necessary, finish MM7 and then start seamlessly into algebra at that point, or finish prealgebra in tandem with starting algebra.

DD would do much better if I weren't teaching her, but I'm hesitant to sign her up for an outside class at this point, not knowing what will be the proper course.

Oh, I'm also thinking of having her do myhomeschoolmathclass' bootcamp prior to starting next year. I'm a bit concerned that after taking soooo long to complete prealgebra, a review and consolidation might be necessary.

Hang in there! Maybe the Hive will throw us both a life line.

We skipped the Geometry and Statistics chapters completely and only did about half the problems for each lesson unless they encountered problems, and we were able to get through it in a year. But we don't supplement, so all math time is spent on MM. 96 hours is about half of 180, which is about what we spend on math/year, so it doesn't sound all that off to me?