Menu

Teaching a small group AP lit class--anyone tried this?

Right now I'm doing a very small group literature class for 11th grade--just my son and one of his friends. The goal for 12th grade is to get him ready for the AP lit exam, and I'd love to get a few more kids involved so that there's more actual discussion and less of just me talking. I did something similar with AP Human Geography when he was in 9th grade and it went pretty well, but for some reason this one seems more daunting. Maybe because I care more about literature than human geography, so I'll be sadder if I feel like it doesn't go well? Also because I had a pool of kids we knew to pull from for human geography, but most of those kids won't be interested in a class next year for assorted change of circumstance type reasons. So I'm thinking of trying to recruit some kids I don't know from local facebook groups. Initial thoughts: anywhere from 4-8 kids total, 11th and 12th graders, meeting once a week for 2-3 hours in person, and I'd likely to try to set something up to keep discussion going online throughout the week. I might charge a nominal fee (maybe $100/semester) for my time/materials/because I wonder if that will make people treat it more like a "real" class. 

Concerns: finding kids who will take it seriously and work hard. And actually do the reading! How to prep for the AP exam is also a concern, but not as big of one....my HUG kids did pretty well, overall, and I was completely flying blind on that. In theory, I'm actually qualified to teach AP lit (in a former life, I was an English phD student, taught freshman comp, etc.)

Anyway, does anyone have experience with something similar? How'd it go? 

1 hour ago, kokotg said:

Right now I'm doing a very small group literature class for 11th grade--just my son and one of his friends. The goal for 12th grade is to get him ready for the AP lit exam, and I'd love to get a few more kids involved so that there's more actual discussion and less of just me talking. I did something similar with AP Human Geography when he was in 9th grade and it went pretty well, but for some reason this one seems more daunting. Maybe because I care more about literature than human geography, so I'll be sadder if I feel like it doesn't go well? Also because I had a pool of kids we knew to pull from for human geography, but most of those kids won't be interested in a class next year for assorted change of circumstance type reasons. So I'm thinking of trying to recruit some kids I don't know from local facebook groups. Initial thoughts: anywhere from 4-8 kids total, 11th and 12th graders, meeting once a week for 2-3 hours in person, and I'd likely to try to set something up to keep discussion going online throughout the week. I might charge a nominal fee (maybe $100/semester) for my time/materials/because I wonder if that will make people treat it more like a "real" class. 

Concerns: finding kids who will take it seriously and work hard. And actually do the reading! How to prep for the AP exam is also a concern, but not as big of one....my HUG kids did pretty well, overall, and I was completely flying blind on that. In theory, I'm actually qualified to teach AP lit (in a former life, I was an English phD student, taught freshman comp, etc.)

Anyway, does anyone have experience with something similar? How'd it go? 

I did this with a small group for a much easier AP class.  The biggest challenge in my world is finding homeschoolers who care enough to do well.  I did charge $100 semester so they would be invested but DD was the only one invested.  She made a 5 on the exam and everyone else failed.  I stressed over and over again that they had to work at home and study/prep at home and that I could not prepare them for the exam in 2 hours a week.  In the end, they expected the 2 hours a week and the homework to be enough.  And the class was super stressful for me because I felt responsible.  I will never teach an AP class to homeschoolers again.  But, again, if you have a more invested and driven pool to draw from then you might have a great experience.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Attolia said:

I did this with a small group for a much easier AP class.  The biggest challenge in my world is finding homeschoolers who care enough to do well.  I did charge $100 semester so they would be invested but DD was the only one invested.  She made a 5 on the exam and everyone else failed.  I stressed over and over again that they had to work at home and study/prep at home and that I could not prepare them for the exam in 2 hours a week.  In the end, they expected the 2 hours a week and the homework to be enough.  And the class was super stressful for me because I felt responsible.  I will never teach an AP class to homeschoolers again.  But, again, if you have a more invested and driven pool to draw from then you might have a great experience.

Ugh--yes--this is exactly what I'm afraid of! I just don't know how to make sure I get kids who really want to be there...I guess I could actually have an application process with some questions about why they want to take the class and what kind of literature and writing background they've had to prepare them. I'm just weighing whether it's worth it or not. 

• Like 1