Menu

A New Path for High School - OM? American School? HELP!

Background: Oldest about to graduate. I'm burnt out. He is a smart, unmotivated student and I've had to drag him through. I'm tired.

More background: Middle student is 7th/8th-ish this year. (The plan is five more years to graduation, so 8th next year, or two 9ths or whatever...) Academics don't come naturally to her, but she's a hard worker. She would like to go to college (or art school) but won't be looking at exclusive schools or academic scholarships. She and I work hard on our relationship but butt heads a lot. She works far better for her outside teachers than for me, and likes firm deadlines. She wants to keep homeschooling because of involvement in homeschool theater, art, volleyball and because she needs quiet downtime.  

(Youngest is still at the cuddle on the couch, go on field trips, make toilet paper roll castles stage.)

So, I *never* dreamed I'd consider this, but I'm wondering about something like OM (OH MY GOSH! THE PRICE! never mind that...) or American School. Maybe it's just the burn-out talking, but I'd love to have someone else do the grading, at least for a lot of the subjects. (I wouldn't mind doing a few classes together at home.) I'd like to be encourager/coach, not grader/task-master. And I think she'd do well with it. 

We have "class day" schools here -- she attends one now for foreign language -- but to do a full load would get expensive compared to (EDIT) American School. Plus the teachers tend to give weekly assignments, and she would really do better with a format where she had more frequent check-ins.

What can you tell me about these programs? Or similar ones? Have you had good or bad experiences? Are there other options I'm missing/forgetting/I don't know about?

(One of the appeals of American School is the low number of credits required. It would free time for her to devote to art and theater, and wouldn't be as overwhelming to a non-academic student, and would give us flexibility to add courses we wanted to. I think? I dream?)

I'll eventually delete/edit for her privacy.

I used American School for 9th-10th grade for one of my daughters. I thought it was solid academically and the price was great. But it does require the student to really take responsibility for her own work. And if you are looking for something with weekly feedback or a lot of teacher interaction, I would not recommend AS.

We would have stayed with them but she asked if she could go back to regular homeschooling so we did.

Have you looked at Calvert? Seton?

What about a virtual charter through your public school system?

Or does your public middle school/high school allow for taking just 1-2 classes in the classroom? If so, that would be daily contact for DD. Perhaps you could outsource Math and Science, or Science and English), and hire a tutor for the 3rd core class, and then you oversee the lighter remaining courses?