Menu

Tapestry of Grace in a Co-op setting 7th grade

I have no experience with TOG, and it's being offered as an option at a co-op near me. It would be year 1. I'm assuming dialectic stage. I have tried exploring the TOG website, but I still can't get a handle on what the exact books are (history spine and lit) and what sort of writing assignments would be required. There doesn't seem to much of any distinction between grammar and dialectic on the chart I saw. I clicked on the sample week/tour. For week 1 of year 1 it says "Student assignments are found in the writing assignment charts contained in this week-plan"--How do I or am I even able to access the assignment charts? 

I don't have contact info for the teacher and registration starts tomorrow. That's why I thought I would ask here. My daughter is ASD, has dysgraphia, dyscalculia, and lots of red flags for dyslexia. She reads slightly above grade level, but sometimes she misses details, has trouble making inferences--stuff like that. She does much better with audio books. She comprehends more while "ear reading".

When she was diagnosed over a year ago, I tossed all the curricula I had been using, and approached education from a completely different perspective. Loosely unschooling with some more formal math instruction. I'm comfortable continuing this way, but she wants the co-op experience like her big sisters have/had. I'm trying to figure out exactly what books she'll be expected to read and the pace. Also need to know what the writing assignments are like. I don't want her to be overwhelmed. In my mind I'm thinking--if it ain't broke, don't fix it. What we are doing now works. She's learning--she's engaged, etc. But I want to honor her interest in doing the co-op thing--explore it, give it a chance.

Can anyone give me some specifics?

Edited by stephensgirls

When you go to the ToG site click on store –-> bookshelf central--> tapestry of grace --> year one

From there you can find the books used in each unit.

I have used ToG for 8 years, but I can't say whether it would be a good fit for your dd. I never have a problem tweaking ToG to work for my kids, but with a co-op it will be in somebody else's hands. Tapestry is known as a very reading heavy, rigorous program, which might not be a great choice for your dd. Yet if your dd is motivated and interested, she might be fine.

See what you think after you give those books a look. The Bookshelf site tells you how much time is spent on each book. Hopefully that helps with the decision.

• Like 1

Are you sure that they are doing all parts of TOG at co-op. We just did the history discussion when we were part of a larger co-op that offered TOG. Even when we used TOG writing in our present group, we adapted the pace-so definitely try to find someone to ask.

There should be a three week sample for you to download. On it you will be able to see all the assignments and the Student Activity Pages weigh the questions used to prepare for discussion.

Many people I know start out doing the reading with their dc and modeling how to find and answer questions. At some point the Dc Takes over themself.