Menu

Who's planning to take Rhetoric 1 at WTMA

Just curious why this course or why this over a different writing course.

Does anyone know anything about the teacher, Marissa Henry?

Is this class still requiring 1-2 hours per day of work?

Dd did have EW1 a few years ago and though she did well overall, she never was very interested in attending class or absorbed during class, unlike with Lukeion or Lange's FOEW. Because of that class, I stopped enrolling for further writing classes at WTMA.

Is Rhetoric 1 going to be different? She really needs a dynamic teacher or at the minimum a class that has a little fun.

• Like 1

My dd took Rhetoric 1 last year and Rhetoric 2 this year with Mr Hummel. It has been an excellent class for her. She was a pretty good writer before but this class has taken her to a new level and I really feel that she is very ready for college writing after these 2 years in his class. Unfortunately it seems that he is not teaching Rhetoric next year and I do not know anything about Marissa Henry so can't say what it will be like. I would recommend Mr Hummel's class without any hesitation. I'm hoping that he will be teaching it again when it's time for my next dd to take the class. 

Edited by tcb
  • Like 2

My dd took Rhetoric 1 last year and Rhetoric 2 this year with Mr Hummel. It has been an excellent class for her. She was a pretty good writer before but this class has taken her to a new level and I really feel that she is very ready for college writing after these 2 years in his class. Unfortunately it seems that he is not teaching Rhetoric next year and I do not know anything about Marissa Henry so can't say what it will be like. I would recommend Mr Hummel's class without any hesitation. I'm hoping that he will be teaching it again when it's time for my next dd to take the class.

I was hoping for Hummel after reading positive reviews about him.

Is 1-2 hours per day on Rhetoric about right?

• Like 1

I was hoping for Hummel after reading positive reviews about him.

Is 1-2 hours per day on Rhetoric about right?

I think it would be more like 1 hour per day usually, and maybe longer when working on a more complex assignment. It kind of depends if your kid is a fast or slow writer. For my dd it has been good, challenging work, but not overwhelming. In my opinion it is one of those classes that you can get a lot out of if you put in the effort, so the amount of time taken probably varies quite a lot.

• Like 1

We were considering it until I heard Mr. Hummel isn't teaching the Rhetoric courses for the upcoming year. He was one of the main reasons we were going to sign up. 

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he might come back to teaching it soon. He really is an excellent teacher!

• Like 1

There are other sections with TBD under the teacher name. It's just that the discount for enrolling early ends on March 31. Yet I’m back where I started; basically a list of English courses that all look pretty good.

I think the question to ask is do you need more Lit based course or do you need more writing skills course. What sort of writing are you looking for? A variety of writing assignments or more lit based writing? I think there are significant differences in all your choices in terms of content.

• Like 2

I think the question to ask is do you need more Lit based course or do you need more writing skills course. What sort of writing are you looking for? A variety of writing assignments or more lit based writing? I think there are significant differences in all your choices in terms of content.

Everything! No, really, that's the thing, I can't decide. She was basically thrown into persuasive writing for AP Latin with compare and contrast writing for this semester without any previous instruction. Nothing like just diving right in which makes me think she might be ready for AP Language after another year of instruction. The list of Brit Lit books at CLRC is appealing while Lange has fewer books but probably more writing than CLRC. I think that if Dd took AP Language in 10th grade, we could take it easier for 8th grade with either Lange or Brit Lit.

• Like 1