Menu

Help with electronics and robotics after EEME

dovrar

Hello all,

Ds 11 is in interested in electronics/robotics. He did all of the free lessons on the EEME site, saved up money to purchase Q the robot with all of the add on components and has put Q together and programmed him. He's still interested in learning more, but I don't know where to go from here. I don't know about robotics. Anyone have any brilliant ideas? I would love a push in the right direction.

Thanks!

Debbie

Have you looked at Quick Study Labs? They offer electronics courses that are reasonably priced and really engaging. The instructor (Mr. Phillips) personally responds to emails with detailed suggestions/corrections as well as great encouragement. We had a great experience.

quickstudylabs.com

• Like 1

Have you looked at Quick Study Labs? They offer electronics courses that are reasonably priced and really engaging. The instructor (Mr. Phillips) personally responds to emails with detailed suggestions/corrections as well as great encouragement. We had a great experience.

quickstudylabs.com

Which class(es) has your child done? I'm trying to figure out which class would be best for DS 11. I don't just want a repeat of what he learned at EEME. 

Thanks for the lead  ; )

Debbie

Which class(es) has your child done? I'm trying to figure out which class would be best for DS 11. I don't just want a repeat of what he learned at EEME. 

Thanks for the lead  ; )

Debbie

She took Edison Project I and II. 

Many other classes (including a robotics class) are listed at:

http://www.quickstudylabs.com/Common%20Files/What%20You%20Need.htm

Joel Phillips, the instructor, responds to email pretty quickly. It might be helpful to email him directly to get an idea of the best fit for your son without repeating topics. 

mr.p@quickstudylabs.com

Is there a FIRST robotics team near you that he could get involved in? It sounds like he would really enjoy it. You should be able to find some information about the teams in your area on the firstinspires.org website. It probably won't tell you much other than which teams are in your area but it will be a place to start and if you can get in touch with one of the teams they will have more local knowledge about what's available. We are in Missouri and there is a Missouri FIRST organization that is very helpful. There may be a state one in your state too, as the website I listed above is a national one.

My son is also interested in robotics and has been learning how to code. As far as the FIRST LEGO League competitions, I would not recommend them. My son participated in the First LEGO league competitions, and although his team advanced to regionals, it was there we learned that the robot part of the competition is only 10% of the team score. That’s right, 10%. So, you could have a team that is awesome at coding the robot and get the best score on the robot part of the competition, and still not advance to state competition, because the robot part of the competition is only 10% of the score. I realize that FIRST LEGO league is very popular, but we found it to be very disappointing and a complete waste of time. My son is now training for World Robotics Olympiad, and the competition for that is all based on coding the robot, nothing else.