Menu

Should we start with Saxon K or 1?

leannevice

Hi!

This will be my first year homeschooling. My 5 year old twin boys are gong into kindergarten. I was planning on Math U See for them, but I just came back from the teach them diligently conference and was surprised to find myself most drawn to Saxon out of the things I looked at. I love the script and its the program I learned in school so its just familiar which I like.

The thing is, I cant decide if we should start with K or 1.

The boys know the calendar (months, days of the week), can count to 100 by 1s, 10s and 5s, count backwards from 20, and all the shapes covered in K. We could use more practice with patterns, and haven't covered graphs, pictographs, tangrams, or money except for a cute money song they know. They also cannot write the numbers yet, but we are working on it and I see thats a Saxon 1 skill anyway.

I also recently read that a local private school starts kindergarteners with Saxon 1 so I'm wondering if we should just start there?

Anyone with experience with Saxon care to chime in?

thanks!

I just wanted to add that a benefit of starting Saxon a year ahead is that if you hit any bumps (or if the math part of their brain falls out during puberty), you have wiggle room and can still easily stay on course to hit Algebra 1 in 8th or 9th.  I know Saxon gets knocked a lot, but it's been a great fit here for all my boys (I currently have 2 boys in 1/2 and 1 in Algebra 1, and my older 2 are DE in PreCalc and Calc 2 at the CC).

• Like 1

I started K with dd when she was 4 in PreK. She did hit a bump in 2nd grade with Saxon 3, so we slowed down a bit and took a few weeks to do a different program and try some "fun" math activities. Worked great, we went back to Saxon, and it was a great year.

Saxon is gentle in the beginning and ramps up quite a bit near the end of the year, but the beginning of each year is solid review (BUT also there is new teaching in with the review, so I recommend not skipping it).