Menu

Medieval History Ideas Wanted

NewIma

This summer I am thinking of spending a month or so casually learning about the Middle Ages with my kids aged 7 and 11 before going to a Renaissance Fair. Do you have any favorite fiction or non-fiction books that your kids loved? Or any hands on period themed projects or crafts your family really enjoyed? 

I'm all for studying the middle ages, but I'll be a Debbie Downer and say we were disappointed in our Renaissance Fair. It was a ton of drinking, questionable entertainment, expensive, and my dh hauled us out early. Total flop. I know they take school groups, but the day we went it wasn't very educational in a good way. 

Do you have the AG for SOTW2? Also VP has great listings under MARR in their catalog. I remember I got this kit for making your own chain mail, but that was some serious tedium.  :lol:

• Like 1

I've gone to one once, and had kind of the same thoughts as above. We didn't go on the educational day, so we are trying that this year four years later since we are doing Medieval Times for history again this year. 

Favorite projects this year have been learning calligraphy and making one really nice piece of art of our own illuminated manuscripts. We did colored pencil around the edges using carbon paper to copy the same motif around the edges, then coloring in and then designing our own corners. We then each used our calligraphy that we had been practicing to make a sign on the inside. It was a weeks long project that turned out nice. We also made giant castles out of cardboard boxes after studying castle life. 

• Like 1