Menu

History textbooks for early elementary?

ktgrok

Do these exist?

I personally am a sonlight/build your library type learner, but my kids love textbooks. Compromise is we use textbooks and then jump off from there with other stuff. And I really do like having a way to as questions, etc. For instance, Notgrass, although more conservatively than we are religiously, was SO freaking easy to use with my oldest. We have also used Catholic Textbook Project with good success. Is there anything like that for say a 3rd grader? I'd read to her, and then we'd do the review questions or whatever orally or I'd scribe for her (she's dyslexic).

We are "using" Story of Civilization right now, and by using I mean we listen in the car, lol. I may just stick with that. Come to think of it, it may have questions and such I could be using......I need to check, lol. 

It's just that things like Notgrass are laid out so nicely, with exactly how much to do when. 

I just came across my dc old notebooks from their Story of the World days. We used the Activity Guide as well. Everything you need is there. Some weeks we did more than others. The reading or audiobook is there, questions for writing or discussion, map work, reading lists and related activities. We kept a history encyclopedia around and I ordered whatever books the library had available to have around. I think they were 6 and 8 when we started. It's one of the most remembered and loved times in our homeschooling. I overlapped reading and writing with history. It was fun and kept the amount of work manageable . I liked that it was adaptable for ages and abilities. 

At that age, we enjoyed A Child's History of the World. We spread it over 2 years because, well, we're slackers.

If you're looking for US History, we also like The Complete Book of US History. It's not very detailed but we use it as a spine, then find library books or Prime (New Dimension) videos to expand on certain subjects.

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 1

So it turns out that the story of civilization does have questions for each chapter that I totally haven’t even looked at. We started using it when I was dealing with depression and just use the audiobook component. It also has an activity book kind of like story of the world. I need to go back and look at it now.