Menu

Challenging (3rd grade) Math Problems---Source

Earthmerlin

I after school a 3rd grader.. My daughter came home stumped with a word problem like so:

A bike has 1 seat and 2 wheels. A go-cart has 2 seats and 4 wheels. If there are 21 seats and 54 wheels in all, how many bikes and go-carts are there?

(It's quite early here, I haven't had my coffee yet & I'm writing this from memory. Needless to say, the numbers may be off but you get the idea.)

Of course, being a 'mathy' family and home we chewed this over during dinner (pun intended 😜). However, it got my juices going and I'm now wondering where I can find more problems like this. A book or site (w/ explanations) would be great. They don't have to be just word problems. Visual problems or puzzles are good too. I just need something that's accessible to an 8 year old--something that'll stretch but not break her. Ideas?

We did a lot of those with MEP - especially year 2, when they were beginning to work on multiplication.  I want to say they used tables to try to figure them out, but it's been a while.

We've done them since with Right Start and in more algebraic form, but MEP is free and you can look through the worksheets/masters and just print what you want.

• Like 1

We did a lot of those with MEP - especially year 2, when they were beginning to work on multiplication. I want to say they used tables to try to figure them out, but it's been a while.

We've done them since with Right Start and in more algebraic form, but MEP is free and you can look through the worksheets/masters and just print what you want.

Free sounds good to me! 😠Sorry but what's MEP stand for again? Thanks for the help!

MOEMS has a lot of problems like that. Also I just saw one like this on the AMC 8, but it involved a zoo: birds with 2 legs and 1 head, and mammals with 4 legs and 1 head.

Sorry but could you tell me where I can find 'MOEMS'? I'm not familiar with that brand. Thanks!