Menu

Elementary Spanish

Rachel

Do you speak any Spanish yourself? Had your child learned other foreign languages?

If you are interested in a gentle, build some basics kind of year I would look at Mango, Duolingo, and Getting Started With Spanish. You could add a day of watching something on Youtube or Salsa! from GPB. Your library may also have Spanish language board books, First 1000 Words, translated familiar stories from English, videos for learning Spanish (usually aimed more at young kids), or how to learn Spanish books in the adult section.

If you prefer a curriculum I don't have any particular recommendations, although there are quite a few out there.

If cost is no object and you are wanting some quick progress you could look at Homeschool Spanish Academy for online tutoring.

• Like 3

My kids all loved and did well with Mango for about 2 years, but then our library stopped carrying it and the new program they used to replace it was not impressive (to us).  I would definitely start with Mango if it's available through your library!

What a bummer! I would suggest if you haven't already, take the time to write a nice email to the materials department head for your local library. I am sure whoever selects online resources would love the feedback to know that you don't like the current offering and that you would really like Mango back. I'm not kidding when I say the squeaky wheel gets the grease in most cases when it comes to the public library. :) 

I like to combine "immersion" (whole to parts instruction) with explicit grammar teaching (parts to whole).

Since I can't actually immerse the kids in the language, I get as close as I can.  I really liked the book Fluent Forever, which outlines a very doable method of language learning that uses almost no English, and instead focuses on making brain connections between pictures and foreign words, and then as soon as a vocabulary base is established, quickly advances to learning the language through reading and studying grammatically correct sentences.

We also "immerse" via a weekly Spanish class, Spanish videos (Muzzy, Salsa, Knowitall.org), Spanish music, Spanish readers (Easy Spanish Reader by Tardy, Funny Tales in Easy Spanish by Pinto, A First Spanish Reader by Remy) and I am looking to hire a Spanish conversation partner.

As for the grammar, I think Mango is fine, though it wasn't our favorite.  We use Getting Started with Spanish, Duolingo and Easy Spanish Step-By-Step by Bregstein.

We also use Rosetta Stone, which is kind of grammar and kind of immersion, because our homeschool partnership pays for it.  I would never pay full price for it, and I would never use it on its own or as a high school course, but I find it valuable as one facet of our Spanish study.

Wendy

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

We do not learn English from a single resource and we won't learn a foreign language from a single resource.

Spanish needs to be broken down the same way we break down English. I abhor linking to expensive resources, but to learn the 100 or so most basic vocabulary words, https://dinolingo.com is the best I have found. The best final drill, is the last video on a topic. It starts off slow and repetitive and build to rapid fire drill of about 7-10 words. The slower previous videos and the games prepare a student for that last drill. That last drill works great as review.

There are also books. Lots of books. The early books are basically just vocabulary, but it sets that habit for the child to read at least one Spanish "book" a day.

I first signed up for this resource when I was studying Haitian Creole as there are very limited options for high-quality prepared resources. But I have also have used the program for Spanish.

If you use a coupon to sign up, sometimes the next years discount builds on the previous year's discount. 30% off of 30% off of 40% off starts to really bring that price down of the yearly subscription fee in the third year!